Would you still get involved?

Would someone videotaping a scuba accident affect your decision to help in a rescue?

• It wouldn't affect my decision at all

Votes: 97 78.9%
  • It might cause me to hesitate or limit my involvement

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I would decide the liability isn't worth the risk

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all my time on ScubaBoard, this is my first poll ... there's an ongoing discussion in this thread about a person's right to videotape a rescue during a diving accident. And I'm curious how it would affect your decision to get involved.

I personally feel it would have a chilling effect if people knew that their every action was going to be recorded, posted on YouTube or Facebook, critiqued by masses of strangers, and possibly be used as evidence in a liability lawsuit.

How about you? Would it affect your decision to attempt to help? If so, do you think knowing that your actions were being videotaped would limit the scope of your involvement?

I would also like to ask that those who reply indicate whether or not they have been rescue trained, and whether or not they have ever been involved in a real scuba rescue situation. I can answer in the affirmative on both of those questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I don't like your choice "It would cause me to hesitate or limit my involvement". I think those two need to be split.

It's human nature to have such a thought cause them to hesitate, but not necessarily limit their involvement.

I have been involved in multiple critical incidents and have been filmed by everyone from national news agencies to ghouls with hand helds; never stopped me from doing what is needed.

Instructor trained, competent, and insured. The last part is why I would still do my best to effect a rescue.

Old habits die hard, I'd just do what I can to help. Although if I had to run to the scene, and the recorder was between me and the rescue........

Over the years I have been involved in a number of minor rescues, no CPR, and two major incidents not involving the water. I recently certified Rescue.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

I am AOW and Emergency First Responder, husband is Rescue and EFR. We both had to do a body recovery about 1 1/2 yrs ago in the Intercoastal. I wouldn't hesitate to help anyone in any situation if I could.

ER doc, Rescue trained, and I have been involved in an attempted rescue. To be honest, while that was going on, I wouldn't have known if an entire news crew was on the scene. My focus was on the victim. So no, I don't think it would change anything.

I'm a DM (non active) and wouldn't hesitate from performing or assisting in a rescue because cameras were rolling.
Here in FL we have the Good Samaritan law so we are safe from civil damages.

I think it would not matter , I don't think I would notice it if it was down to me being the one to doing the rescue.
Really like Lamont's thoughts on what your thinking capacity would drop to for those that are not experienced in rescuing people .. I'm worried that I might be about as clear headed during one as a 7 year old

Rescue Cert, and thankfully, have had no opportunities to use it

Water rescue trained (Merchant Marine Academy, and recreational lifeguard-type training, not scuba). Two scuba rescues (one deep, one surface). Several "recreational" swimming rescues, ocean.

I would do whatever I could do to help, until someone more qualified took over, and not hesitate.

Best wishes.

As a non professional responder it wouldn't affect my decision to help at all. I've had some emergency response training through various organizations that I've been involved with and I would jump in and help without hesitation to do whatever I could within the scope of my training, camera's be damned.

In most states Good Samaritan law would protect me as long as I stayed within my training.

Back
Top Bottom