Would you really know what was going on if your computer went into Deco...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry if someone has already posted this.

how would you feel PRACTICING the deco stops on your computer by diving Nitrox
and setting up as air? that way, you will not be in "real" deco, but your computer
will think you are and guide you through. if you plan for a small deco "obligation,"
it might be quite the learning experience.

Well, aside of not knowing if you are in deco or not because your computer is already in deco, what does that do above planning your own stop schedule in an NDL dive?

e.g. you can plan for your 20 minute dive and then do stops at 40, 30 and 19 [so you get credit for your safety stop, depending on your computer], or you can tell your computer you're doing an air dive, and dive until your computer goes into deco, follow it's schedule and hope -you- didn't kick into deco if you have a problem and punch out.

Of course you could just make sure you planned your dive so you _didn't_ exceed the NDL limits of the EAN mix you are on; but then of course that would imply that you could stick with a dive plan, and therefore you don't need your computer to guide you through deco.

sigh... well, of course my scenario assumes that you will plan your dive on Nitrox
to insure that you don't go into real deco.

the purpose of the exercise is to SEE what your computer does when in deco mode,
the subject of this thread all those pages ago...

H2Andy:
sorry if someone has already posted this.

how would you feel PRACTICING the deco stops on your computer by diving Nitrox and setting up as air? that way, you will not be in "real" deco, but your computer will think you are and guide you through. if you plan for a small deco "obligation," it might be quite the learning experience.

Yeah, when he's Nitrox trained & certified. He's scheduled to do that late this month.
:icosm08:

darn... the best laid plans...

H2Andy:
sigh... well, of course my scenario assumes that you will plan your dive on Nitrox
to insure that you don't go into real deco.

Sorry... addressed that in an edit. Possibly a little too harshly. But this thread -is- about breaking plans and ascending at the whim of your computer anyway...

again, the point of the thread was "would you know what to do if your computer
went into deco mode" posted by DandyDon

i was suggesting a way to have that happen safely, without real deco obligation.

i am not arguing the merits of tables or computers for real deco diving, not being qualified to opine therein

Perhaps it's best to review a long thread rather than start it back up again. Let me try another approach then the paracuting reference.

Do you need to light your house on fire to know how you'd deal with it?

Why would you need to take your computer into deco to learn how to deal with it?

Spectre:
Perhaps it's best to review a long thread rather than start it back up again. Let me try another approach then the paracuting reference.

Do you need to light your house on fire to know how you'd deal with it?

Why would you need to take your computer into deco to learn how to deal with it?

No, you practice escape plans, meeting places, as well as getting to know your fire extinguishers. I like to start a rubbish fire on the farm and let people actually get the feel for using one. But one doesn't get bent by running from a burning house in a hurry.

Do you need to take a course followed by Open Water to know how to Scuba...?

:satisfied

BTW - this was a Recreational Dive question.

Are we starting over from the beginning or what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom