Would you really know what was going on if your computer went into Deco...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, first i apologized in case other people had said this.
i didn't want to read through 17 pages to find out.

second, your metaphor is faulty:

Spectre:
Do you need to light your house on fire to know how you'd deal with it?

yes. professionals do exactly this. they are called "firemen"
and they set houses on fire so they can be exposed to the
real thing in a controlled setting.

Spectre:
Why would you need to take your computer into deco to learn how to deal with it?

so that you can experience it under controlled circumstances
without going into real deco.

this is not rocket science. please put your agenda aside for
a moment, and you will agree.

H2Andy:
yes. professionals do exactly this. they are called "firemen"
and they set houses on fire so they can be exposed to the
real thing in a controlled setting.
Actually, they call 'em firefighters now (PC and all that:wink:)
A house on fire is not a controlled setting! We have a blast doing it, but a burning fire is not "controlled" until it's no longer burning. :D The firefighters do not participate in these "live burn" training scenes until the basics are covered. So to continue the analogy, why would divers take their computers into deco without training on the basics first?

oh yes... firefighters (i should know, i represent the evil gubmen against the
firefighter's union these days... alas... that's a whole new topic).

well... they DID train on the basics first. they got OW, AOW, and are about to get
Nitrox. i think that covers it.

and remember, this is not real deco. you're diving Nitrox, so you're not on deco.
it's just that the computer THINKS you are.

all you're doing is becoming familiar, under realistic circumstances, with what it looks like, what it does, etc., in deco mode.

except you aren't in deco mode...

see?

H2Andy:
this is not rocket science. please put your agenda aside for a moment, and you will agree.

Which agenda is that? You don't need a computer to go into deco to tell yourself "ok... lets say I have a 10 minute deco obligation. I'm going to stop for a minute at 30, a couple minutes at 20, and then hang out on my safety stop a little extra?"

You don't need a computer in deco to understand how to get out of the water with a blown plan. You also don't need to be a tech diver to know about the concept of stops.

Hell, I know recreational instructors that incourage a safety stop of 1 @ 50, 1 @ 40, 3 @ 30 and 5 @ 20 for any deep [100'] dive.

Spectre:
Hell, I know recreational instructors that incourage a safety stop of 1 @ 50, 1 @ 40, 3 @ 30 and 5 @ 20 for any deep [100'] dive.

dude you are missing the point.

they want to see what their
computer looks like when it goes to deco, what the stops
look, like, etc.

Spectre:
You don't need a computer in deco to understand how to get out of the water with a blown plan. You also don't need to be a tech diver to know about the concept of stops.

You know (well, ok, at least through here) more than a few ordinary divers who encourage that too :D

Snowbear:
I missed the being on nitrox part and having the computer set for air. So - as long as these experimenters know their profiles well enough to know the limits of the gas they're diving, they should be fine.....
Ok. Lets go with that idea. So... you're computer says you have 1 minute of NDL of air left. How much time in your nitrox mix do you have left?

How much air deco can you build up and be within your EAN NDL?

And once again... why do you need your computer to be in deco to be able to practice being told "10 minutes until you can surface?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom