Would you really know what was going on if your computer went into Deco...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they want to do it underwater.

why are you so opposed to this idea? what core belief is being threatened?

are you a ludite in tech diver's clothing?

(that last one was a joke)

:bounce:

Spectre:
Ok. Lets go with that idea. So... you're computer says you have 1 minute of NDL of air left. How much time in your nitrox mix do you have left?

How much air deco can you build up and be within your EAN NDL?

this is so easy it's ridiculous. seriously. you know how to use
tables, so do we. we can figure this out.

Spectre:
And once again... why do you need your computer to be in deco to be able to practice being told "10 minutes until you can surface?"

and once again, you are missing the point. they want to see
what the computer display looks like, what it does, what it tells them to do.

jeez

All these replies are being written by experienced divers who seem to forget most divers are not that experinced and some may not have been trained to an accpetable level. I can remember three occasions where i have found divers staring at their computers thinking it has been taken over by the Devil becuase it is giving them starnge readings. Should they have read the manual properly or have been given an explanation, of course. should they have seen the the NDL time clicking down of course, but they were too busy following the DM who has a less conservative computer.

To avoid a situation like this why not suggest that divers that the computer down on an air dive in EAN setings just to force it into deco mode so they can see what does happen , instead of looking aorund with a WTF face

H2Andy:
why are you so opposed to this idea? what core belief is being threatened?

Because I think it's a foolish risk. But whatever. I'm a big fan of darwin anyway.

However... in an attempt to take this into a more productive direction, since I'm sure it's not going to go in that direction like this. Perhaps you should look at starting a new thread.

I'll give you a title...

"Have you ever unintentially taken your computer in deco mode? How did you handle it, and what did you learn"

[p.s. because I'm feeling generous... perhaps you should have suggested a second computer in EAN mode... then you'd be able to assure me that you could make sure you weren't exceeding an NDL]

specter:

I don't need a computer to make sure i don't exceed NDL's

do you?

:bounce:

Albion:
To avoid a situation like this why not suggest that divers that the computer down on an air dive in EAN setings just to force it into deco mode so they can see what does happen , instead of looking aorund with a WTF face
A safer option being suggested is to do as DandyDon finally did and use the simulation mode on dry land...

that certainly would be safer

H2Andy:
this is so easy it's ridiculous. seriously. you know how to use tables, so do we. we can figure this out.

Think about it. A computer does spot sampling. You _easily_ blow table dives. It's in fact possible that sticking to your EAN plan won't even kick an air computer into deco due to the basic differences between the computer sampling and a square dive profile. At which point you need to go beyond the plan to get the air computer to kick into deco. And once again I ask... how much deco is still within NDL for your nitrox?

and once again, you are missing the point. they want to see
what the computer display looks like, what it does, what it tells them to do.

See the attachment. No, I didn't take my computer to the doria for 12 minutes... but I can see what it would tell me if I did. And I can in fact look at different points in the dive to see what it says:

Spectre:
And once again I ask... how much deco is still within NDL for your nitrox?

ok, we both have valid points (well, from my point of view; not sure you would agree).

but this is really an easy question to answer:

if you go to the limit on air and start your ascent,
you CAN NOT violate your Nitrox NDL unless
the extra deco takes you there, right?

ok... all you have to do now is not exceed your MAX
BOTTOM time on the nitrox mix, and you'll be safe.
if the deco takes you past that (at least six to ten
extra minutes, btw) then you call the dive.

think about it.

Back
Top Bottom