Would you really know what was going on if your computer went into Deco...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Would you really know what to do...?

Have you ever done it...?

I wonder if it might be a good idea to intentionally run it over a couple of minutes in the red in very calm and controlled conditions then work off the Deco obligation plus 3-5 minute Safety Stop as well - all as a practice & learning session?

I've asked a few, and the most common response is: "If it beeps, I'll know I have a problem to ask about." :klo:

don

Nearly every dive I make my computer goes into deco. If I make a planned decompression dive I run tables on my PC and use my computer as a bottom timer/depth guage. Most of the time my computer (Datamax) is within a minute or two of my deco schedule, so being a little conservative I allow it to get out of deco mode and then some before surfacing.

Deco is no big deal and is normally the most boreing part of the dive. :yawn:

It's the period where you notice your body needs to viod itself of the items that were brought on board prior to the dive. The longer the deco the worse the feeling.

When you get right down to it, It's just an extension of your assent time. Everytime you leave the bottom for the surface it's a deco. Some are just longer than others.

It's like deep diving. It's just a frame of mind. We train 20' deeper than we work. That way everyone knows the depth they are at is no big deal and don't give it a second thought.

Just remember that if you are going to do a Long deco make sure you have the gas and the conditions for it PRIOR to the dive. Short one's are normally no big deal and the safety stop could even be considered as being one.

Why would you want to do a safety stop when your last stop is going to be at 10' already? If you normally do a stop at 15' your not going to back down to do it. Just allow an extra minute or two if it makes you feel better.

Gary D.

Define *very calm and controlled conditions*... and I'll show you where the definition falls apart.

If you want to incur a deco obligation then you should learn decompression proceedures and not rely on you dive computer.

I've experinced my computer entering required Deco time before.
I have obliged by performing the required stop at the required depth (10').
It was unexpected; is that what you're getting at?

If you want to incur a deco obligation then you should learn decompression proceedures and not rely on you dive computer.

I'll second this - if you want to learn how to do deco, intentionally violating NDL's by just a little bit to see what happens isn't the way to do it. A minor violation probably won't kill you but it can sure spoil your day and may result in permanent injuries and no more diving, ever.

Dive safely.

BradJ:
I've experinced my computer entering required Deco time before.
I have obliged by performing the required stop at the required depth (10').
It was unexpected; is that what you're getting at?

OK I'll expand. While diving in Cozumel, my Vyper enterred a required Deco obligation of about 18 minutes on my second dive of the day. This seemed excessive at the time but I obliged and much to the dismay of our DM (Dive Paradise).

D.D. Yes I've put my computers into deco more times than I can count- but has already been said have a back up plan Learn proper deco dive planning ,gas mgmt. etc. and then take your computer on a deco dive and watch what happens.

if you want to test your skills... plan in stops in your NDL dives. A good start is doing 1 @ 40, 1 @ 30, 3 @ 20 and 5 @ 10 and do that on every dive you do.

Intentionally taking your computer into Deco to see how you might react is a lot like jumping out of an airplane to see if you can figure out how to use a parachute.

BradJ:
OK I'll expand. While diving in Cozumel, my Vyper enterred a required Deco obligation of about 18 minutes on my second dive of the day. This seemed excessive at the time but I obliged and much to the dismay of our DM (Dive Paradise).

Well, the first thing to realize is that what the computer tells you to do is probably not the right thing to do.

Now don't take this wrong - you do have to do the deco. Its just that the computer is probably going to tell you to go to 10' and sit, which is wrong.

If you're going to intentionally dive required decompression, learn how the curve works and what your ascent profile SHOULD look like. Then start diving that even on no-stop dives. This way, when/if you do a decompression dive, all you're doing is changing the times rather than un-learning or worse, doing what the computer says and calling it "ok" - because its really probably isn't.

Oh don't get me wrong - you probably won't get bent listening to the computer. But you are putting way more stress on your body than you need to.

Decompression isn't scary or problematic, so long as you know you have the gas required to complete it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom