Would you really know what was going on if your computer went into Deco...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean:
Although I'm not deco trained, I did several comparisons last year between vplanner and the Suunto dive manager sim software....and I vowed NEVER to use the vyper for deco, except as a bottom timer....LOL

There were much too many differences, and the vyper always had me out before the vplanner wanted me out.

Aren't you really talking about the classic difference of Table vs. Computer?

My philosophy is that every dive is a decompression dive. If I trust my computer to keep my un-bent on some dives( what is normally called a no-deco dive) why not on all?

Now I do understand that each algorithym, whether in a table or in a computer, has quirks. A person just has to decide what quirks they are most comfortable with?

DandyDon<snip> I wonder if it might be a good idea to intentionally run it over a couple of minutes in the red [U:
in very calm and controlled conditions[/U] then work off the Deco obligation plus 3-5 minute Safety Stop as well - all as a practice & learning session?

<snip>
don

Don,

I don't think experiementing with deco is a good idea. You'd be better off taking a course.

R..

Can anyone recommend a good website or reading material on deco and/or general dive planning and gas management?

I had an unintentional deco dive once during which not all divers had enough air left to finish their last stop, not that they knew exactly how long the stop was supposed to be anyway.

I wasn't able to read my computer properly when it went into deco partly because I was narced, partly because I'd never seen it in deco before, and it had been a while since I looked at the instruction manual. Terrible I know.

Diver0001:
Don,

I don't think experiementing with deco is a good idea. You'd be better off taking a course.

R..

Have to admit that when I started my dm training I did not have a clue about the majority of my computer's functions other than as a depth timer and to get ascent rate. Worrying I know but I can honestly say for 2 years I didnt know what the digits were that were counting down at the bottom of the screen (NDL).

Got the functions explained to me by the centre's course director after I went into deco through my own ignorance of the computer I was using. I didnt have a clue at the time what I should do and I was VERY lucky that I only went over the ndl by a matter of less than 5 mins or so.

Don't most computers have a sim mode, where you can "go into deco" on dry land just to familiarise yorself with what your computer is trying to tell you should you accidentally go into deco on a dive?? Mine has, and I have tried it several times, so I'm quite confident that unless I was narced off my face if it happened, I'd know how to read it.
If I wanted to do intentional deco diving I'd make sure to get the training beforehand.
But I'd really like to know how you can possibly "accidentally" find yourself on a dive with an 18-minute deco obligation AND with your DM apparently not having any or far less??

annie:
Can anyone recommend a good website or reading material on deco and/or general dive planning and gas management?

I had an unintentional deco dive once during which not all divers had enough air left to finish their last stop, not that they knew exactly how long the stop was supposed to be anyway.

I wasn't able to read my computer properly when it went into deco partly because I was narced, partly because I'd never seen it in deco before, and it had been a while since I looked at the instruction manual. Terrible I know.

"Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving" is a good place to start. There are also several books out there by Dr. Bruce Weinke that discuss deco. Regarding websites, check the link in my signature line.

stefo2:
Don't most computers have a sim mode, where you can "go into deco" on dry land just to familiarise yorself with what your computer is trying to tell you should you accidentally go into deco on a dive?? Mine has, and I have tried it several times, so I'm quite confident that unless I was narced off my face if it happened, I'd know how to read it.
If I wanted to do intentional deco diving I'd make sure to get the training beforehand.
But I'd really like to know how you can possibly "accidentally" find yourself on a dive with an 18-minute deco obligation AND with your DM apparently not having any or far less??

Well it was typical Cozumel two tank diving: the first dive on a wall to around 100' for about 30 minutes, a short SI and then a fairly shallow second dive for 30-40 minutes.
The only thing that changed was the DM wanted to do Chankanab which is pretty shallow but the rest of the group wanted to do that wreck the U-???. I thought the DM was a little uncomfortable about the second dive but once in the water that wasn't the case.
That wreck is pretty deep, about 80' at the bottom. I thought we would hang out on the deck which is about 60' or so but he led everyone down near the bottom where we spent some time. About 20 minutes or so into the dive still at about 80' I realized the Vyper was almost out of NDL time. I figured the DM would plan for this and we would begin our ascent.
Much to my surprise he started to penetrate the wreck for another 5 minutes or more. I'm watching the DECO minutes start to build with the rest of the group and the DM seemingly oblivious.
Well finally we separate from the wreck and start drifting with the current, but everyone still stays near the bottom. I slowly begin ascending as the group gets smaller and smaller until I'm at 10' where the Vyper wants me and begin my 18 minute stop.
The amazing thing is a group finally does ascend but blows past me without even a SS. The DM and the rest of the group join me for their SS and a few minutes later he gives the thumbs-up. I shake my head and show him the Vyper which still has double digit DECO left. He tries to grab the others in the group but they're already at the surface.
The two of us hang out together until the Vyper clears and surface. The DM didn't want to talk about it back on the boat and the rest of the group had no clue what was going on. I did look at one guys Cobra and it was in Err mode.
I think DMs, especially in the Caribbean do the same dives every day and don't really worry about seemingly small changes in dive plans. And who knows, maybe the Vyper was way too conservative.

BradJ:
Well it was typical Cozumel two tank diving: the first dive on a wall to around 100' for about 30 minutes, a short SI and then a fairly shallow second dive for 30-40 minutes.
<snip>

Did anyone get bent?

R..

It was my last day diving so I didn't see any of them again. They seemed fine on the ride back.
My guess is this type of thing happens all the time.

And you wonder why they have what is pretty close to a "mandatory" chamber fee on all visitors to Coz?

Yikes.

100 for 30 minutes on 32% is already a deco dive - 5:20 @ 20' according to VPlanner (nominal). Then you did a short SI and a second dive to 80' for 30-40 minutes?!

Those are planned deco dives from my point of view.

Back
Top Bottom