Would you really know what was going on if your computer went into Deco...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll always rely on a computer just like flying a plane or just about anything else we do these days. Off load that mundane work onto something that can do it faster and better than we can and all you have to do is keep an eye on it and enjoy what you’re doing.

Truva

I always use tables to plan and then computer as backup. Vytec can do gas switch on the fly up to 99% o2. Vplanner and other software is good too. I use an alladin nitrox for a backup comp and always leave it on air. When it comes down to it you should know your body, it will tell you if you are doing something wrong. If you have the proper gas why not hang out for a bit longer, find some macro life and ascend at 1 ftpm.

I don't have a problem relying on a computer. In fact trusting it has made a lot of my diving a lot safer.

It has taken a lot of years for them to evolve to where they are now and most have good track records.

Don't try a DIY computer and stay with a good known brand and you'll be fine.

Everyone still needs to know how to use the tables and have a rough idea of max time at depth. Even with the computer I still carry a watch most of the time so should something happen I have somewhat of a back-up system.

Gary D.

Reading your computer's manual to understand how it will respond to an unplanned deco situation is clearly a necessary first step, but we all know that there's a world a difference between reading about something in a book and actually executing it at depth.

If you're not trained in deco procedures and your computer has gone into deco, something has already gone wrong with your dive, so you may already be a bit stressed. Stressed divers make mistakes. Seems to me like it might be useful to practice simulated deco, just to get it straight in your brain what the display looks like and how you should react if you should ever find yourself in an unplanned deco situation.

We're not supposed to run out of air either, but we practice that (just in case). Why not unplanned deco?

Perhaps one way to accomplish this safely would be to plan a no-stop dive on Nitrox, but set your computer to Air, such that it goes into deco during the dive. Then practice performing the prescribed stop(s) as indicated by your computer. In an emergency, you can always ascend directly to the surface, but the simulation provides valuable practice in dealing with an unplanned deco event.

If you dive with a comp ALLWAYS read the f* manual... Having a comp you don't know is like not having it at all or worse!!!

Obeying what your comp tells you won't kill you or do you any harm (usually, but you can get run over by a car even if you follow the rules) but you could do it other ways too (but only if you know what you're doing)

Since I usually dive from a boat (2-way dive) I do the first way deep (going into deco) and return shallow (with very slow ascent), but you have to plan your gas appropriately (usually this means 100bar is time to go back, and you end up with around 50bar outside). From time to time I do a deep part on 40-50m and "shallow" on 20-15m and do around 20-25min deco but you should SERIOUSLY think before this beacuse a single tank is enough for me, but for the others? (btw. it's a planned dive, not accidental - usually I'm out with 20-30bar, total dive time around 60min)

if you are not sure, follow your comp, but do it ALL the time, not only on the end of dive. This way you'll always have enough gas...

hvulin:
If you dive with a comp ALLWAYS read the f* manual... Having a comp you don't know is like not having it at all or worse!!!
QUOTE]

:rolleyes: You can't seriously be saying that everyone who goes into unplanned deco should have read the deco part of their computer instruction manual the night before. The point is, these things happen. I read mine back to back when I bought the computer but it didn't really come back to me when I was at 37m, narced and kicking myself for getting into the situation. It was a very similar situation to the one someone else posted. The dive plan was wrong so we went to look at coral which was supposed to be at 30m but was actually at 37m. The DM didn't seem at all concerned about the depth and wouldn't talk about it afterwards even though people's computers were in error etc. There were beginner divers there who probably wouldn't necessarily have recognised bend symptoms and he surely wasn't checking on them.

My Suunto wen´t into deco once (unplanned). The reason for this was too quick of an ascent (went up about 5m very quickly). Having read the manual and being aware of why it went into deco I just slowed the h*** down and calmly finished the dive. I didn´t incur any more time at the "mandatory" shallow deco stop than usual (because I slowed my ascent a bit more than usual after that).

Like I said this wasn´t about time or depth but about ascent rate (although I was pretty close to the depth limit for my mix). Suunto takes into account microbubbles and stuff and so doesen´t appreciate quick ascents....

I think you should know the limits of your gas (and be aware of were you are in relation to them) and your computer before you get wet, anything else is just to risky IMO.

I wouldn't want to have to decompress according to any of the computers on the market. All but a few are meant for "No Stop" dives only.

The problem that I could see many (not all of course) recreational divers having if they go into decompression is not being able to hold stop depth without a line to hold onto even if they know how to read the computer to know what that depth is.

Most recreational divers are diving without any redundancy so maniditory decompression obligations is a really bad idea.

And then there's gas planning.

MikeFerrara:
I wouldn't want to have to decompress according to any of the computers on the market. All but a few are meant for "No Stop" dives only.

The problem that I could see many (not all of course) recreational divers having if they go into decompression is not being able to hold stop depth without a line to hold onto even if they know how to read the computer to know what that depth is.

Most recreational divers are diving without any redundancy so maniditory decompression obligations is a really bad idea.

And then there's gas planning.

I have not agreed with you on quite a few issues here, but I will stand behind you on this one.

There is a lot more to doing deco stops than just staying in the water longer. If you have not been trained and do not know how to plan your dive properly, then stay within the NDL.

truva:
I’ll always rely on a computer just like flying a plane or just about anything else we do these days. Off load that mundane work onto something that can do it faster and better than we can and all you have to do is keep an eye on it and enjoy what you’re doing.

Truva

I see at least four issues with that plan:

First, What do you do when your computer floods or otherwise fails after you've incurred a significant deco obligation, i.e., a 30 minute hang with one or two gas switches.

Second, does your computer have a simulator that will calculate the amount of gas that you'll be using? If not, how do you determine whether you'll have enough gas to complete the dive safely.

Third, with certain limited exceptions, most computers can't handle mixed gas diving. Assuming that you've got one that does, it won't matter when it floods or fails unless you've got a fully redundant backup and you've been adjusting both for your gas switches.

Fourth, if I'm going to go through the effort to plan a dive, I want to know that I'm going to have enough gas to reach my objectives. I don't want to wait until I get there to find out that I'm not going to reach my objective because I didn't take enough gas.

Your analogy to computers on planes is interesting and accurate. Just like when your diving, people on airplanes get hurt or die when the computer screws up.

Back
Top Bottom