Would you expect compensation from a live-aboard operator if…

Is some form of compensation warranted

• Yes

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the crew had any choice in the matter. They were required to sail the mission even short handed and did the best they could probly.

I voted yes that some compensation is due. If there is an outbreak of a "virus" on board the operator of the boat has a duty to inform at least the next group of passengers. The operator should also make sure that everything has been sanitized and the crew is healthy. If that means a short handed crew so long as safety isn't compromised so be it.

Other things such as weather are not the fault of the operator. Or if you know there has been a "virus" on board and a crew member still has the sniffles then you take your chances.

I too would be interested in hearing the Explorer's side of the story.

Hello, I can imagine you feel like this, but in Holland we would say ' these are forces beyond your (and their) control' . It can happen, and of course it is not nice when you get sick during your holidays. But in this case I only can say that I respect it that the crew was still working. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but this is the way we (mostly) think in The Netherlands.
Regards,
Margriet

Glad I read this. I am going to go to Turk/Caicos this late spring or early summer and was looking at both EV and the Aggressor. Think I know which way I will go now. I have been on Aggressor boats before (Galapagos and Belize) and had nothing but a wonderful time. Was thinking about giving EV a shot but if the owner is having an "attitude" about this, that is enough for me to pass it over. If nothing else, the owner should at least be concilatory and make some sort of amends. I wouldn't hold the crew to blame, I am sure they were probably under pressure to deliver the revenue.

I think it wise that the EV probably ought to make the gesture of at least giving some sort of discount on a return trip. Given it looked like many missed at least half the diving then perhaps a 50% discount. I suppose it would be easy to stand on "well you buys your ticket and you takes your chances" but it is a competitive industry, and even just this thread has cost them a potential customer. Not a good situation to have happen and not address. Certainly not one to merit apathy as a response if that is indeed the owners attitude.

Hello, I can imagine you feel like this, but in Holland we would say ' these are forces beyond your (and their) control' . It can happen, and of course it is not nice when you get sick during your holidays. But in this case I only can say that I respect it that the crew was still working. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but this is the way we (mostly) think in The Netherlands.
Regards,
Margriet

Yep typical Dutch responce :D

But,and I'm not gona vote cause this has to do with your legal system,it might have to do with the kind of sickness you encounterd.
Influenza, or even the common cold, has a incubation time of 1 to 3 day's and therefor the crue could have known that you would get sick and should have warned you.On any other sickness times could be much longer and therefore the outcome could be very differnt,if it comes to court.

So for influenza YES they should refund (if they did NOT warn you.)
NO if it was any other disease witch you could have taken with you.

This was my question as well, why on earth would one leave a tip after an experience such as this? If the crew understood that passing on a sickness of any sort to customers directly affects their income they may be much more likely to protect the source of that income, their divers.

The cruise cost was $3,400 for the two of us and we tipped 10% ($340). The crew was friendly, courteous and worked hard. So, right or wrong, we tipped. We felt no animosity toward the crew. That's just us I guess.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

morning all,

fyi, i have emailed the dive operator being discussed here and invited them to make comment

cheers

Yes I would want to be compensated and no I would not expect to get it. And I don't believe that trip insurance will cover it either. :) If they did then everyone that came down with the sniffles would want their money back and they would go out of business. They are not to blame for a virus a passenger brought aboard. :no:

If an employee came to work sick and you got sick afterwords and missed a few days of work would you expect your employer to pay you for the days you missed without charging your sick leave?

Or if "you" are the employer would you pay for an employees missed days because he caught someone elses illness?

Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with you completely and I would be angry too if I spent alot of money and something out of my control caused me to not get what I payed for.

But realistically I know that they can't do it because if they did they would be admitting fault, and then everyone that's ever taken a trip with them would be jumping on the bandwagon. If you look at some trip insurances even the ones that carry "Cancel For Any Reason", they have stipulations in there that do not favor the policy holder.

And yes I would still sue to try and recover damages. Good luck. :)

Hello, I can imagine you feel like this, but in Holland we would say ' these are forces beyond your (and their) control' .

But in fact, these forces were at least within their partial control. They could have had the infected crewmember stay home that week. They could have had someone HEALTHY prepare the food. They could have carried a bottle of dilliuted bleach around and sprayed every surface twice a day. They could have sanitized the rooms before the guests arived. They could have done several things, and it sounds like they failed to do any. This is pure neglagance on the side of the crew, and you should be compensated, as the unfortunate outcome was at least partially their fault.

Had they done everything in their power to avoid the spread, it would be a different story.

Yes I would want to be compensated
. Good luck. :)

I would expect to be compensated as in DandyDons case, a 40% discount on your next trip would be tollerable. I think they should work with you in resolving this situation. What kind of biz are they running if they walk over you and we (the public) hear about it, why would we do biz with a company that treats you like this?

I pretty sure I would not have tipped in a case like this. Think of all the work the crew didn't do, ie: filling tanks, getting you in and out, being concerned with those that are in the water, maybe the crew should have tipped you :>)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom