Would you expect compensation from a live-aboard operator if…

Is some form of compensation warranted

• Yes

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inmann: I'm not sure the doctor labeled it. He told my wife she had an upper respiratory infection turning into a sinus infection. He prescribed Levaquin (antibiotic), Medrol Dose Pack (steriods), Ibertural (an inhaler and cough suppresant).

While aboard her symptoms were heavy chest and nasal conjestion, a deep cough, sore throat and low grade fever. Pretty much the same as mine.

Regarding anyone bringing up an objection; Not to my knowledge. But I can tell you people were exchanging glimpses. We talked about the pursers' comments alone in our room that evening but once on the boat there seemed to be only one option for us and that was to get off the boat. Obviously, we didn't.

...and for whatever it's worth, she still hasn't fully recovered.

Rub of the green.......therefore I vote no.......I know of weeks when live aboards get tied up to bouys in Coxan Hole, Roatan--all their diving week--due to weather ie no compensation is made.......Mother Nature can not be harnessed......That's why January is a horrible time to travel to the Caribbean----as is Late July, August, & early Sept......I always look @ the probabilities when traveling........

viruses are only transmittable while the person has a fever! If the crew was over the fever part they were not contagious, but viruses can site on surfaces for a number of days. They are transmitted from hand to noise or eyes. So wash your hands and don't pick your nose and you have a better chance of not getting something! The operator warned you and you can't hold them responsible for the transmission of viruses in the middle of flue season! You knew that when you booked! Buy trip insurance that covers your illness! Did the boat sail? Did they offer diving? Did you choose not to dive? Then take some personal responsibility and suck it up and learn something! Otherwise the next time you get some virus on an elevator will you be suing the the build owner?

Antibiotics don't work on Viruses!!! So the infection was not their fault! Ignorance is the most expensive thing we pay for!

I don't know how LIKELY compensation will be, but the fact that it was the crew not only spread it, but knew about it beforehand and knew it was contagious would really make me want to pursue further options.

Thinking some form of compensation is in order would be a "YES."

Thinking it's due but that you're not likely to get it -- is not a "NO."

[
...and for whatever it's worth, she still hasn't fully recovered.

My best to her and wished for a quick recovery.

I voted yes based on the story as given, but would like to see Explorer's side...?

BTW, we lost two full days of diving on an Explorer boat out of Exuma last month along with a couple of other little issues. I thot the crew was great with the challenges, but Explorer did offer a 40% discount on a return trip to all.

This trip cost us $4,050 counting tip and related fees and excluding air fare and subsequent medical costs.

Not trying to raise the whole tipping discussion, but why did you feel like these people still deserved a tip after all of this? Sounds like that was one place to make some statement in how the crew handled things.

I'd think a return trip, gratis, would be most appropriate...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom