Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine96821
Very curious, what is his take? Have you learned anything from him?

First off, I think he has learned an awful lot since he became a Marine. I don't believe he is near as allusioned as he was before. I don't want to try to speak for him but my impression is that his motivation now is to fufil his obligation to his fellow marines that he willingly took on. I think he gets some satisfaction from his belief that him being there serves as protection for some people who might not otherwise be protected.

I wanted to update this some. When I first posted in this thread I had just heard that my sons LAV had been hit by an IED but I didn't have many of the details.

He isn't doping well. I had the chance to talk to him at length this morning. I asked what he thought of the situation, in general, and I quote, "It's f-u-c-k-e-d up". He feels that the primary reason that they hit the IED in the first place is that the marine post that is 100 yards (or feet? I don't remember) away isn't doing their patroles like they are supposed to. What got my son back on patrol after having everything in his vehicle behind his head destroyed (as I said, he isn't doing well) was harassement from certain individuals. One in particular, is a sargent he describes as a "sick f-u-c-k" The guy did make a really good argument though, LOL If your vehicle gets blown up and and you're not there, you'll miss it. Ok then, there's a revelation for ya!

If he comes home, and he doesn't really sound as though he expects to, I don't think he will spend a single minute longer in the Marines that what law requires.

There's a lot more than I can go into here but sorry...cnn doesn't come close to doing justice to the magnitude of this monumental screw-up. Sorry about the rough language but that's the way he talks now. I guess that's just the military helping him to grow up.

Fish_Whisperer:
The French do this. Every able-bodied male, upon graduating high school, serves two years in the French Army. (I don't know if this is true NOW, but it was when I was in the Army, because I spent a good portion of the Greyhound bus ride from Sacramento to Bakersfield, with a couple of French soldiers)

It's not that it can't be done. But it is not an economic advantage to the military/government who would likely have to fund it. Some might even see it as an attempt to have the government help fund the conversion of children into adults.

Fish_Whisperer:
The French do this. Every able-bodied male, upon graduating high school, serves two years in the French Army. (I don't know if this is true NOW, but it was when I was in the Army, because I spent a good portion of the Greyhound bus ride from Sacramento to Bakersfield, with a couple of French soldiers)

FW: The Swiss have managed to stay out of many wars including WW1 and WW2: perhaps this is why:

"At about age 20, every Swiss male goes through 118 consecutive days of recruit training in the Rekrutenschule.

Even before required training begins, young men and women may take optional courses with the Swiss army's M57 assault rifle. They keep that gun at home for three months and receive six half-day training sessions.

From age 21 to 32, a Swiss man serves as a "frontline" troop in the Auszug, and devotes three weeks a year (in eight of the 12 years) to continued training. From age 33 to 42, he serves in the Landwehr; every few years, he reports for two-week training periods. Finally, from ages 43, to 50, he serves in the Landsturm; in this period, he only spends 13 days total in "home guard courses".

Over a soldier's career he also spends scattered days on mandatory equipment inspections and required target practice. Thus, in a 30-year mandatory military career, a Swiss man only spends about one year in direct military service. Following discharge from the regular army, men serve on reserve status until age 50 (55 for officers).

Members of the armed forces keep their rifles and uniforms in their homes for immediate mobilisation, as well as 50 rounds of ammunition in a sealed tin, to be used for self defence while traveling to the mobilisation points. Additional ammunition is kept at military bases where the militia are supposed to report. Swiss military doctrines are arranged in ways that make this organisation very effective and rapid. Switzerland claims to be able to mobilise the entire population for warfare within 12 hours.

During World War I, both France and Germany considered invading Switzerland to attack each other's flank. In World War II, Hitler wanted the Swiss gold reserves and needed free communications and transit through Switzerland to supply Axis forces in the Mediterranean. But when military planners looked at Switzerland's well-armed citizenry, mountainous terrain, and civil defence fortifications, Switzerland lost its appeal as an invasion target. While two World Wars raged, Switzerland enjoyed a secure peace."

Mike your son is in our prayers as well!

Following the guidelines set forth in the OP's post.

My daughter grew up a military child. She choose a different career path than I did. However, had she ever mentioned an interest I would have encouraged her. She has the personality and mindset to have been successful in a military career. This isn't true for every young person and is something every parent must decide for themselves.

-s

mdb:
FW: The Swiss have managed to stay out of many wars including WW1 and WW2: perhaps this is why:

"At about age 20, every Swiss male goes through 118 consecutive days of recruit training in the Rekrutenschule.

Even before required training begins, young men and women may take optional courses with the Swiss army's M57 assault rifle. They keep that gun at home for three months and receive six half-day training sessions.

From age 21 to 32, a Swiss man serves as a "frontline" troop in the Auszug, and devotes three weeks a year (in eight of the 12 years) to continued training. From age 33 to 42, he serves in the Landwehr; every few years, he reports for two-week training periods. Finally, from ages 43, to 50, he serves in the Landsturm; in this period, he only spends 13 days total in "home guard courses".

Over a soldier's career he also spends scattered days on mandatory equipment inspections and required target practice. Thus, in a 30-year mandatory military career, a Swiss man only spends about one year in direct military service. Following discharge from the regular army, men serve on reserve status until age 50 (55 for officers).

Members of the armed forces keep their rifles and uniforms in their homes for immediate mobilisation, as well as 50 rounds of ammunition in a sealed tin, to be used for self defence while traveling to the mobilisation points. Additional ammunition is kept at military bases where the militia are supposed to report. Swiss military doctrines are arranged in ways that make this organisation very effective and rapid. Switzerland claims to be able to mobilise the entire population for warfare within 12 hours.

During World War I, both France and Germany considered invading Switzerland to attack each other's flank. In World War II, Hitler wanted the Swiss gold reserves and needed free communications and transit through Switzerland to supply Axis forces in the Mediterranean. But when military planners looked at Switzerland's well-armed citizenry, mountainous terrain, and civil defence fortifications, Switzerland lost its appeal as an invasion target. While two World Wars raged, Switzerland enjoyed a secure peace."

Well, I don't know if the Swiss could put up any real fight or not but who wants to pick a fight with a bunch of armed people?

We do things differently. Gun ownership is increasingly politically incorrect. We are a non-violent society...or are we? Guns are for the police and the military. But, where do the people in the military come from?

Nobody wants to fight and we get people to go along with wars like this by telling them that it will keep the trouble makers from coming here. We're trying to disarm everybody and we wage wars because people don't want to fight...a lot of sense that makes! I'm with the Swiss. Give everyone a gun, mind your own business and tell the trouble makers to come on ahead if they want trouble.

The troublemakers did. Starting in the late 60's with hostage taking, hijackings, suicide bombings, the sinking of the USS Cole, and culminating in 911, where the ultimate fight was brought to us. And still, people are oblivious and continue to remain asleep, anesthetized by their fast food, electronic toys, minivans, Dockers, and shopping at Old Navy and The Gap. 5,000 civilians murdered, and people have the gall to protest Israel's incursion into "Palestine," and the United States' prosecution of this war in Afghanistan as well as Iraq. Hard to believe that there are still pacifists who believe that standing down and hiding in a hole is going to make the terrorists stop. It will NOT make them stop.

Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes for my son. Obviously there are lots of lots of men and women there with my son and scores of other parents/family members worried for them. I offer the same prayers and well wishes for all of them.

Fish_Whisperer:
The troublemakers did. Starting in the late 60's with hostage taking, hijackings, suicide bombings, the sinking of the USS Cole, and culminating in 911, where the ultimate fight was brought to us. And still, people are oblivious and continue to remain asleep, anesthetized by their fast food, electronic toys, minivans, Dockers, and shopping at Old Navy and The Gap. 5,000 civilians murdered, and people have the gall to protest Israel's incursion into "Palestine," and the United States' prosecution of this war in Afghanistan as well as Iraq. Hard to believe that there are still pacifists who believe that standing down and hiding in a hole is going to make the terrorists stop. It will NOT make them stop.

And thank you.

Nothing irks me more than someone that joins the military then complains when they have to do what they supposedly joined for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom