Learnt to dive while an expat wife in Cayman :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macabucan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We first lived on Cayman for just 6 months back in 2015. We loved it, and our son was young enough, so we went back for a further 9 month secondment the next year. That second time I decided to see what all the fuss about scuba diving was about :) As much as I love Cayman, there is little to do on island if you don’t dive! And I had already seen the incredible marine life while out snorkelling. I asked on the Caymums Facebook group for an instructor recommendation (I’m a strong swimmer, but was very nervous about Diving - what if I got claustrophobic? Would it hurt? Are sharks an issue?!). Turns out a fellow mum’s husband ran a dive shop out of one of the East End resorts - and he had already taught many of the others who all described themselves as anxious/nervous/novice. I am glad I had no idea at the time how much harder the East End / North Wall Diving is generally regarded to be :)

I signed up for the SSI OWD course offered by instructor George, and nervously drove out East (we were living near Spotts beach at the time).

That decision basically changed my life. Turns out I have fallen in love with Diving, at the ripe old age of 37 (arthritic hip, various postpartum issues and all!). The very first time my ears equalised and I looked over at George (who was right with me on the mooring line) and then beyond him to the blue - I got what all the fuss was about. Before that point I was convinced I wouldn’t be able to do it - but at least I had given it a good shot, right?

While my husband (who was already certified from 20 years ago) worked in an offshore law firm out there, and our son attended a local georgetown nursery, I dove (is it “dove” or “dived”?!) as much as I could.

I quickly buddied up with my neighbour and we often went out as a foursome. I joined a Women’s Only Dive on the west wall / angel fish reef and we did several night dives at Sunset House / Eden Rock too. We made a long weekend out in Little Cayman and were taken to the famous Bloody Bay wall. But it was the original East End sites that really fascinated me, so I went back to George’s dive shop as much as I could. Memorable trips include: Babylon, Chubb hole, Turtle pass, Snapper hole. I am still pinching myself that this was where I learned to dive! I know how lucky I am: to have had such a calm and confidence-building instructor, and also these sites to experience.

Don’t get me wrong. It hasn’t always been easy. My first time Diving outside of a Cayman (near Portofino in Italy, in a wetsuit for once!) was the first time I had experienced current so strong it had me gripping to the mooring line for dear life on my safety stop. When we came back to Cayman for this year’s Easter holiday, my first dive (in about 9 months) featured my cylinder coming loose and me making an almost-uncontrolled ascent while distracted by that ‍♀️. All that said: I just want to learn, improve my safety, skills, knowledge and experiences.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has recently discovered Diving, and perhaps especially those with a love of Cayman or who have may plans for Diving in Liguria (a more realistic dive holiday location, for most of the time!).

Thanks for having me on your forum, I’ve really appreciated being able to read so many of the posts on here.

Kat

We first lived on Cayman for just 6 months back in 2015. We loved it, and our son was young enough, so we went back for a further 9 month secondment the next year. That second time I decided to see what all the fuss about scuba diving was about :) As much as I love Cayman, there is little to do on island if you don’t dive! And I had already seen the incredible marine life while out snorkelling. I asked on the Caymums Facebook group for an instructor recommendation (I’m a strong swimmer, but was very nervous about Diving - what if I got claustrophobic? Would it hurt? Are sharks an issue?!). Turns out a fellow mum’s husband ran a dive shop out of one of the East End resorts - and he had already taught many of the others who all described themselves as anxious/nervous/novice. I am glad I had no idea at the time how much harder the East End / North Wall Diving is generally regarded to be :)

I signed up for the SSI OWD course offered by instructor George, and nervously drove out East (we were living near Spotts beach at the time).

That decision basically changed my life. Turns out I have fallen in love with Diving, at the ripe old age of 37 (arthritic hip, various postpartum issues and all!). The very first time my ears equalised and I looked over at George (who was right with me on the mooring line) and then beyond him to the blue - I got what all the fuss was about. Before that point I was convinced I wouldn’t be able to do it - but at least I had given it a good shot, right?

While my husband (who was already certified from 20 years ago) worked in an offshore law firm out there, and our son attended a local georgetown nursery, I dove (is it “dove” or “dived”?!) as much as I could.

I quickly buddied up with my neighbour and we often went out as a foursome. I joined a Women’s Only Dive on the west wall / angel fish reef and we did several night dives at Sunset House / Eden Rock too. We made a long weekend out in Little Cayman and were taken to the famous Bloody Bay wall. But it was the original East End sites that really fascinated me, so I went back to George’s dive shop as much as I could. Memorable trips include: Babylon, Chubb hole, Turtle pass, Snapper hole. I am still pinching myself that this was where I learned to dive! I know how lucky I am: to have had such a calm and confidence-building instructor, and also these sites to experience.

Don’t get me wrong. It hasn’t always been easy. My first time Diving outside of a Cayman (near Portofino in Italy, in a wetsuit for once!) was the first time I had experienced current so strong it had me gripping to the mooring line for dear life on my safety stop. When we came back to Cayman for this year’s Easter holiday, my first dive (in about 9 months) featured my cylinder coming loose and me making an almost-uncontrolled ascent while distracted by that ‍♀️. All that said: I just want to learn, improve my safety, skills, knowledge and experiences.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has recently discovered Diving, and perhaps especially those with a love of Cayman or who have may plans for Diving in Liguria (a more realistic dive holiday location, for most of the time!).

Thanks for having me on your forum, I’ve really appreciated being able to read so many of the posts on here.

Kat

Welcome. Never been to Cayman yet, never dove in Liguria either, but am quite interested to hear / read more about diving there.

Thanks Schwob :)

Both locations are awesome, but very different! I would highly recommend diving the Ligurian coast if you’re into huge Moray Eels! I’d never seen anything like it. Cayman has a much more obvious tropical aquarium vibe...

Glad to hear you fell in love with diving in the Caymans. Until we decided to spend our retirement winters here, I dove just a handful of times on cruises or vacations to the Caribbean. But after one holiday here, we were sold. And while I now dive here as much as possible, my non-diving spouse still has lots of fun snorkeling, swimming, shopping, eating, and hanging out (usually with me) at various beach bars. And from your name is appears you discovered the bar (and shore dive) at Macabuca :)

Hehe thanks Mi000ke, we certainly have discovered Macabuca! They used to do amazing fish tacos and ice cream sandwiches :). I only did the shore dive there once (in a strong current and relatively poor visibility) but i’d love to do it again in slightly better conditions.

I browse CIREBA’s property magazine whenever I can :). I think my perfect early-retirement place would be a south sound condo, somewhere at Windsor Village, or maybe Pirates Cove or Caribbean Paradise... I can but dream!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom