Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My parents sure didn't want me to go back in 1968. After a year of college with straight "D's" I knew it was the right move for me. In the end my folks supported my decision. My dad was wouned at Guadacanal during WWII and had tasted war. The last thing he wanted to see was me repeat his legacy. 3 years later I came home and by the expression on their faces I think they may have held their breath the whole time I was away. Guess it didn't help much that I enlisted to become an Airborne Ranger ...man, did the US ARMY see me coming !!

Many years later I had a son. He barely finished high school and then dropped out of a local college after the second semester. He showed NO interest in serving in the militaryand in fact, an outright aversion to the idea. I suggested he consider it several times but his mother (and my now former wife) laid it on pretty thick about "not wanted to see her baby boy go off to war" ...and I think he bought in to all the attention she gave him. I told him at the time it was HIS decision but that if I was in his position it would be my first thought.

He's 27 now and has absolutely no direction or interests ...other than weed and loud electronic "rave" music. To each his/her own, but as could be predicted, he is totally dependant on his mommy to this day. In retrospect I firmly believe he would have benefited from 3 - 4 years in the military, regardless of branch or schooling.

nereas:
I was the kind of officer who looked the other way, as long as it did not interfere with their immediate responsibilities, nor a danger to themselves or others.

What war and when did you serve? If you were the "kind of officer who looked the other way" were you really an officer? I never knew an officer who did such. It seems an abdication of your basic obligation to those in your charge.

Footslogger:
He's 27 now and has absolutely no direction or interests ...other than weed and loud electronic "rave" music. To each his/her own, but as could be predicted, he is totally dependant on his mommy to this day. In retrospect I firmly believe he would have benefited from 3 - 4 years in the military, regardless of branch or schooling.
I agree.
I myself left school at 15 hoping to walk right into the Army, just after that they put the age limit up to 17. For two years I drank a hell of a lot of piss, had a hell of a lot of bar fights and generally made a nusance of myself....The army didnt change that but it showed me how to not get caught:D...

All joking aside....It gives a boy self discipline, pride, obeidience and some direction in life...makes him a man really.

mdb:
What war and when did you serve? If you were the "kind of officer who looked the other way" were you really an officer? I never knew an officer who did such. It seems an abdication of your basic obligation to those in your charge.

I followed my own judgment and consciousness, and when my 6 years were up, they were up.

Azza:
Poor Harry, I feel for him, when you sign the line you generally sign because you want to go on ops...being forced to be a REMF will be a bitter pill to swallow for him.

At least he has the balls to volunteer...must be a brit thing...his Uncle did the same.

Being a REMF may be the best thing that every happened to him! At least as far as his longevity goes.

Azza:
Poor Harry, I feel for him, when you sign the line you generally sign because you want to go on ops...being forced to be a REMF will be a bitter pill to swallow for him.

At least he has the balls to volunteer...must be a brit thing...his Uncle did the same.

I feel sorry for him....but I think it was the best decision. To be honest I would not like to serve along side of him with every gun in town looking for you.

I had a similar experience in NI, intel had come into possession of some IRA documents, it seems my battalion was the only one in NI that had not lost a man and there was a reward for anyone killing a member of the battalion. My thoughts were ***** just when I thought it could not get any worse we get this.

It was not long after we lost our first man :sad:

cdiver2:
I feel sorry for him....but I think it was the best decision. To be honest I would not like to serve along side of him with every gun in town looking for you.

I had a similar experience in NI, intel had come into possession of some IRA documents, it seems my battalion was the only one in NI that had not lost a man and there was a reward for anyone killing a member of the battalion. My thoughts were ***** just when I thought it could not get any worse we get this.

Well, The Irish won't give up. After all it is their Island. It may take a few more generations but, in the end, it will be a free Ireland again.

cdiver2:

Yep.An officers first duty is to his men and if thats what it takes for Harry to look after his men then so be it...still must be a bitter pill to swallow....
I had a mate in 3 para...all i can say is **** NI. At least they are keeping quiet nowadays....touch wood.

mdb:
Well, The Irish won't give up. After all it is their Island. It may take a few more generations but, in the end, it will be a free Ireland again.
Well they have been fighting for around 1000 years now so I dont fully expect them to lie down now....Problem is the imports now consider themselves Irish as well...ahhh...not my problem...my family left Eire back in the 1800's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom