Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know if I missed this but for me it just does not go together to either encourage or discourage the decision to serve your country via the means of military based on which war “is on” now. Either you are for or against joining. The choice should not be based on how heroic or patriotic war is raging on right now. Will you also drop out if an unwanted war begins when you already enlisted? I don’t think military works that way. You gotta understand what you are getting into.

piikki:
I don’t know if I missed this but for me it just does not go together to either encourage or discourage the decision to serve your country via the means of military based on which war “is on” now.

Either you are for or against joining.

The choice should not be based on how heroic or patriotic war is raging on right now.

Will you also drop out if an unwanted war begins when you already enlisted?

I don’t think military works that way. You gotta understand what you are getting into.
Excellent post.

Azza:
I havnt read the whole thread but yes I would encourage any child of mine to serve i the armed forces. I think actually, that more kids today should serve. Respect and self discipline is fast becoming a thing of the past

As for politics, military personel have no business with politics. If you are a soldier you are paid to do what you are told, not worry about politics. If you set soldiers up to fight for a "belief", and after time they lose their faith in that "belief", then it just makes going to work everyday a hell of a lot harder.

of applause for you

piikki:
I don’t know if I missed this but for me it just does not go together to either encourage or discourage the decision to serve your country via the means of military based on which war “is on” now. Either you are for or against joining. The choice should not be based on how heroic or patriotic war is raging on right now. Will you also drop out if an unwanted war begins when you already enlisted? I don’t think military works that way. You gotta understand what you are getting into.

Great post

piikki:
I don’t know if I missed this but for me it just does not go together to either encourage or discourage the decision to serve your country via the means of military based on which war “is on” now.

so you don't think the current war being fought should be considered when your child asks you if he or she should join the military?

It's hard to go from breastfeeding to keeping your mouth shut.
I'd say pick a group with sound tactics so you won't be a sitting duck.

H2Andy:
so you don't think the current war being fought should be considered when your child asks you if he or she should join the military?

Don't joke.

Personally, I would encourage my child to think about everything possible before s/he makes up her/his mind.

I would discuss different motivations people might have joining the military. Current examples of wars would be an excellent topic to discuss too.
I am maybe old-fashioned but I think this is one of those careers where you make a certain commitment when you join. It might be time-limited but it’s still a pretty hefty commitment. Decisions about "good" wars to fight aren’t made by individual soldiers. Once you are in, you better know what you are sworn in for.
My kid would be up for a pretty grueling interrogation – it better not be just an idea s/he got daydreaming one rainy afternoon.

Or maybe I should just say that for me deciding if you want to serve your country is bigger decision than judging one war or whether you wish to risk participating in a particular war.

catherine96821:
It's hard to go from breastfeeding to keeping your mouth shut.
I'd say pick a group with sound tactics so you won't be a sitting duck.

What are you referring to by "group with sound tactics?"

Back
Top Bottom