Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as my own family or loved ones enlisting goes:

NOT until each and every son & daughter of our elected officials (from GW on down) is enlisted (NOT Commissioned) in the Army, USMC or direct combat auspice of their sister services. Then only then would I be convinced it was worth them risking life and limb for this misguided ill-conceived war. The question I would want answered is how come NONE of thier kids seem to "hear the calling?". Hmmm, any chance this poor hearing was inherited from dear old dad? Anyway, I would tell them (my family) to take a page from the Dick Cheney book "of all time great excuses" when asked why he never served...."I had better things to do"! (wonder if the bloodiest foriegn war we've ever been purusaded him to find "better things"?) Better yet, maybe they should simply just not answer the question (ala GW).

Before any of you GW lovers decide to write to me, please know this; I am a REAL veteran and a third generation Army Ranger, who just got called out of retirement! I will serve my country, just as before, without hesitation or reservation.

Sua Sponte!

robway034:
NOT until each and every son & daughter of our elected officials (of service age) is enlisted (NOT Commissioned) in the Army, USMC or direct combat auspice of their sister services. Then only then would I be convinced it was worth them risking life and limb for this misquided ill-conceived war.
Before any of you GW lovers decide to write to me please know this; I am a veteran who just got called out of retirement! I will serve my country, just as before, without hesitation or reservation.

robway034: I second your thoughts. Our current "elected" officials had "other priorities" when it came to combat service. While they debate about this and that their children are not in harms way.

Rangers lead the way, men like you make it so.

mdb:
robway034: I second your thoughts. Our current "elected" officials had "other priorities" when it came to combat service. While they debate about this and that their children are not in harms way.

Rangers lead the way, men like you make it so.

Leaving aside the separate issue of wealthy politicians keeping their own kids out of combat (such as Geo Bush Sr with Geo Bush Jr in the Texas Air Natl Guard), it does not seem to me that a career with any of the special forces (Army or Navy) lends itself to a long lifespan.

robway034:

NOT until each and every son & daughter of our elected officials (from GW on down) is enlisted (NOT Commissioned) in the Army, USMC or direct combat auspice of their sister services. Then only then would I be convinced it was worth them risking life and limb for this misguided ill-conceived war. The question I would want answered is how come NONE of thier kids seem to "hear the calling?". Hmmm, any chance this poor hearing was inherited from dear old dad? Anyway, I would tell them (my family) to take a page from the Dick Cheney book "of all time great excuses" when asked why he never served...."I had better things to do"! (wonder if the bloodiest foriegn war we've ever been purusaded him to find "better things"?) Better yet, maybe they should simply just not answer the question (ala GW).

Before any of you GW lovers decide to write to me, please know this; I am a REAL veteran and a third generation Army Ranger, who just got called out of retirement! I will serve my country, just as before, without hesitation or reservation.

Sua Sponte!

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=6343&&&edition=2&ttl=20070517225011

nereas:
What are the odds of a mortar actually hitting you in a REMF battallion?

Increasing daily. Perhaps you have some real experience yourself?

Back
Top Bottom