Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nobody's monitoring my air. the fact that i haven't turned the dive means i have enough..

Let me ask you this. If (and that's the big question) you had a new to you buddy, and you went through the pre-dive briefing and discussed sac rates, turn pressure, etc, are you saying that you would not answer a question from your buddy during the dive as to what your current PSI is? Nor would you check during the dive the buddy's PSI?

If your answer is yes, then you are taking your buddy's word as to sac rate, etc, even though you have never been diving with this buddy before, right?

Perhaps you never dive with new buddies. In that case, I can totally see this. I never monitor my regular buddies air.

If you're diving with me- then we are each carrying the others reserve gas supply. Simple as that. If you need gas then you immediately get my long hose, then we'll work on getting calmed down, exiting/surfacing, or discovering that this was just a drill.

If you're not my teammate and you come to me out of gas- I'll still give it to you in a heartbeat. After you are breathing again we'll work on getting all calmed down and thumbing the dive.

I think for a person to do otherwise is just plain wrong.

Another thought - of those of you who voted yes, did you vote that way trusting in redundant systems (such as a pony bottle, spare air, etc)? Would you still vote that way if you did NOT have a redundant system in place, you dove with a (live) buddy, and knew that in an emergency, your life depended on getting air from the person you're diving with?

Food for thought. And redundant systems can fail, rare tho that may be.

I vote yes. I just want to know up front before the dive so I can plan accordingly. I do a lot of solo with out redundancy other than the surface so I don't want to waste on a time a buddy who wouldn't share.

I vote yes. I just want to know up front before the dive so I can plan accordingly. I do a lot of solo with out redundancy other than the surface so I don't want to waste on a time a buddy who wouldn't share.

I voted yes for basically the same reasoning. When I'm diving with people I still consider that I am on my own. I may indicate a need to share air if for some reason I am the OOA diver. If I get the air share fine, if not then its time to head up. Not every person one dives with will be comfortable or even skilled at sharing air. This may lead to a refusal or a further escalation of problems now involving two divers instead of one.

Wouldn't share voluntarily you mean. I think everyone would either go for the surface or share by force.

Let me ask you this. If (and that's the big question) you had a new to you buddy, and you went through the pre-dive briefing and discussed sac rates, turn pressure, etc, are you saying that you would not answer a question from your buddy during the dive as to what your current PSI is? Nor would you check during the dive the buddy's PSI?

If your answer is yes, then you are taking your buddy's word as to sac rate, etc, even though you have never been diving with this buddy before, right?

Perhaps you never dive with new buddies. In that case, I can totally see this. I never monitor my regular buddies air.

if i'm diving with a new to ow buddy, i would ask about their air. :)

if i'm diving with an experienced but new to me buddy, no. i wouldn't ask and i'd be a bit insulted if they asked me, though i'd tell them.:shakehead:

the only time it comes up with my main buddy is if we made a plan to see something specific & i'm getting a bit close to turn. then i'd tell her 'i'm getting close to turn - is what we're heading for around this bend?':D

I dive solo but I voted no. I bring enough air to dive safely and bring a redundant source in case something goes wrong. I agree divers need to be self sufficient or as self sufficient as possible. I have never run out of air or dove with someone who ran out of air. However, if I knew in advance my "buddy" would not share air should the need arise, I would not dive with them. To me it shows a lack of concern or interest toward others. Anyone that self centered is not worth being around. Underwater or above the water. I'd dive alone and stay clear of the diver.

Glad this is a rhetorical question. Although, who knows for sure until you ask for air . . .

Wish you'd set the poll so we could see who votes yes just to cause problems, as no one else would.

Now that 500 psi thread is closed for cleaning, I guess the argument will spill over here...
I’ll bite.
If this is the sole issue in question, yes I would. I’m uncomfortable relying on others for most things. Another diver able and willing to assist me, is in my view a bonus.
I can grasp the rationale behind the more common response of no and find no fault with it.
I do fail to grasp why a need to feel confidant and self reliance is a bad thing, particularly in diving.

And BTW, in regard to the thread you refer to…would not consider shortening or eliminating a safety stop to ensure having exited the water with no less than 500psi as someone has observed. :shakehead:

And BTW, in regard to the thread you refer to…would not consider shortening or eliminating a safety stop to ensure having exited the water with no less than 500psi as someone has observed. :shakehead:

I would make the safety stop. Exiting the water with at least 500 lbs of air should not be the concern. I'd rather suck that tank to 100 lbs than take a chance on getting hurt. Again, if I get the the safety stop with 500 lbs, I'm probably near or at the ndl. Plus I doubt I would use 100 lbs making a safety stop. If you have the air and need it, use it. The hell with what other people think.

Just my 2 cents

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom