Would you dive with no knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul madox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going egypt and they say no knife; so would you dive with out your knife and what is the next best thing; lucky i have never us my knife; but hate to be with out it
Have you ever needed your dive knife;and if yes what for !!

Knives are over-rated. They may look cool in Hollywood straped to your calf, but that's just in the movies. If you're looking for pure functionality, get a pair of heavy-duty snips (trauma sheers if you work in medicine). Sheers will cut anything a knife will cut and they stow nicely in a BCD or drysuit pocket. :cool2: PLUS, they don't cost a whole lot. So if you lose a pair it's no big deal.

Last edited:
Needed Knife. Yes.

Dive without it... No never.

If I was forced to go without big knife, I'd carry EMT shears or some other cutting device. Entanglement is a possibility, and not being prepared for that possibility is not a smart way to dive.

Most dive knifes don't take or hold an edge good enough to cut well anyway. I carry shears for cutting and use my knife for prying and signaling by tapping on my tank.

I am almost never without a cutting device, on land or in the water. I stopped carrying my divers tool/knife when I started diving dry. I do carry a pair of shears in my left side BCD pocket but I'll probably move them to my left thigh pocket on my dry suit.

Hide the knife in a pocket if you want to bring it. I doubt they will search you for a knife before diving and the ban is usually to prevent people from cutting off chunks of coral from the reef.

I have shears and line cutters. I'd just hide it if they were banned as I would not dive without a cutting device.

yes, started with one then went years witout---now back to carrying one(& shears)---EXCEPT when go on international trips, most say No KNIVES OR GLOVES, so this is the norm.......

Back
Top Bottom