Would you buy from this company (Salvo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Guys, can we just let this go. We've subverted this thread beyond all recognition.
Since I do not believe in dictators and I really dislike seeing anyone's freedom limited by the adolescent antics of a few who were raised without self-control or taste. I'll just add evad to my "ignore list" I suppose others that are also offended can do the same.

PerroneFord:
Guys, can we just let this go. We've subverted this thread beyond all recognition.

I'm letting it go, besides going ad hominem is tantamount to conceding defeat. I still don't understand why everyone is so grim about this thread.

Wiki:
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself. The implication is that the person's argument and/or ability to argue correctly lacks authority. Merely insulting another person in the middle of otherwise rational discourse does not necessarily constitute an ad hominem fallacy. It must be clear that the purpose of the characterization is to discredit the person offering the argument, and, specifically, to invite others to discount his arguments. In the past, the term ad hominem was sometimes used more literally, to describe an argument that was based on an individual, or to describe any personal attack. However, this is not how the meaning of the term is typically introduced in modern logic and rhetoric textbooks, and logicians and rhetoricians are in agreement that this use is incorrect.
When the person does not present an idea, but rather simply behaves badly, it is perfectly appropriate to identity that behavior and characterize as what it is, especially when just that sort of behavior is one of the topics under discussion.

Thalassamania:
When the person does not present an idea, but rather simply behaves badly, it is perfectly appropriate to identity that behavior and characterize as what it is, especially when just that sort of behavior is one of the topics under discussion.

Aren't I supposed to be on your ignore list. I suppose you think Derrida is some kind of crackpot. Some one-liners are far more incisive and imply way more information than reams of ostesibly tasteful and logical PC drival.

evad:
I suppose you think Derrida is some kind of crackpot.

ok, i draw the line right there

badmouth Foucault if you must, or even Barthes. Heck, have a field day with Perelman and Lacau. mock, if you wish, Blanchot and Irrigarray

BUT DON'T MESS WITH DERRIDA

Thalassamania:
Since I do not believe in dictators and I really dislike seeing anyone's freedom limited by the adolescent antics of a few who were raised without self-control or taste.

The notion that anyones freedom of speech, in America, can be limited by anyone other than the person feeling limited is, on the face of it, illogical and insulting to the
"poor" limited victims. And , yes, I was raised in a goat barn............. by goats.

H2Andy:
ok, i draw the line right there

badmouth Foucault if you must, or even Barthes. Heck, have a field day with Perelman and Lacau. mock, if you wish, Blanchot and Irrigarray

BUT DON'T MESS WITH DERRIDA

I'm not even going to mention what he said about radical femimism. (oh, and just to partially explain the one-liner, no where in this post did I see anything that smacked of radical feminism) (I'm not kidding) (radical is the quallifying word here)

evad:
Aren't I supposed to be on your ignore list. I suppose you think Derrida is some kind of crackpot. Some one-liners are far more incisive and imply way more information than reams of ostesibly tasteful and logical PC drival.

Just an observation. You lead in the amount of posts to this thread. Indeed, your posts constitute more than 10% of posts in this thread. IMHO all your posts could be removed from this thread and we would not have lost anything. This is not a personal attack but an observation. And for second time I ask you what is your contribution?

Sorry, I know I am feeding a troll when I do this. I just felt the need to address this publicly.

piikki:
Just an observation. You lead in the amount of posts to this thread. Indeed, your posts constitute more than 10% of posts in this thread. IMHO all your posts could be removed from this thread and we would not have lost anything. This is not a personal attack but an observation. And for second time I ask you what is your contribution?

Sorry, I know I am feeding a troll when I do this. I just felt the need to address this publicly.

Contribution to WHAT?

Gentlemen - and yes, I use the term loosely... :wink:

And Ladies, as it is indeed your forum,

If there is anyone here who feels this thread should remain open for further posting of anything constructive beyond chat at the level of "nyah you're another" and "so's your old man", please provide any sort of rational justification.

I can't see that we're accomplishing anything here, but it could be that I'm missing something.

Otherwise, I'll close the thread and we can all go off and post to the latest pony bottle thread, DIR rant, or someone can start something in the key of "things we hate about PADI" and we can all sing along while we flog that horse for awhile.

Is there any stone here at all left even marginally unturned?

Can I get an "amen"?

Back
Top Bottom