Would this make a good trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdessert, don't forget that Cathay also flies direct to Cebu from HK and there should be plenty of flights to Palawan from Cebu as well.

highdessert, don't forget that Cathay also flies direct to Cebu from HK and there should be plenty of flights to Palawan from Cebu as well.

As I read this, my wife is on the other computer checking those same flights!

If you want big fish diving in the Philippines, I agree that Tubbataha is the way to go. As stated above, the best time is around April. I do think that diving in Palau is superior, and you can choose to do a liveaboard trip or to stay on land and do excursions from Koror. In Tubbataha, it is only a liveaboard option.

Tubbataha is less expensive (slightly), and given that you will be in Palawan, you could do some great wreck diving out in Coron as well.

I think some good competition for Bohol has to be Dumaguete. If you can get both in one one trip, I would recommend it.

It is difficult to get there (one hell of a long van and banka ride from Cebu), but Malapascua is also very nice for reef, muck, and of course for the thresher sharks.

Cheers

Are there any big rays in the Malapascua area?

small mobula rays (devil rays) buzzing us at Monad Shoal (Malapascua) during a May 08 trip.
2489372090_48fe247bbe.jpg

We also had a large manta and thresher at the same time which was a surprise as the mantas tend to show up in the afternoon's while the threshers prefer the early morning.

Another large manta at Monad Shoal from an earlier 2006 trip
1462476964_9abb917f3a.jpg

Edit: but if you really want a good manta show... go to Palau and do German Channel!!!

The down side of Malapascua and Monad shoal is that the vis is not always as good as it is in Pakman's photos. I was there in June (admittedly late in the season), and I was hardpressed to see the sharks and mantas on this trip. The other dives were great, however. I should stress that. Again an April trip might bring better results. March is even better.

Here is my youtube thresher video to demo the possible vis and the sharks:

YouTube - Thresher Shark at Monad Shoal

manta shot: YouTube - Manta clip

I'd also consider Ticao as a location for mantas (see link below). It is also not too far afoot from Donsol, where you can swim with whalesharks (snorkelling). Catch a couple of good days (weather and vis), and Donsol is a wonderful experience!

link: Dive with Manta Rays and sharks at Manta Bowl Ticao, Philippines

I totally agree with Pakman on German Channel. It was a blast. We missed the mantas on the dives we did, but it was sharks galore (more my cup of tea) and the drift at the end made me feel like Superman cruising over coral skysrcrapers. Absolutely a thrill a minute.

The link you give, highdesert, is very interesting. The MMPAM run is a good one. It is also good from another standpoint. Getting around the Philippines on land is a test of patience, in particular with Malapascua. I don't personally know the dive op, but this plan looks good.

If you do this trip and get to Dumaguete, make sure to do the shore dive at "Bakong" (sp?) pier, especially if you are a photographer. It isn't a "beautiful" dive using traditional memes, but it is an experience, one in which you can get some eeery and wonderful dive shots...

Another possible liveaboard option is run by a Danish tour group that is connected with Coco Beach Resort in Puerta Galara. I'm not sure if they still have a liveaboard service connected with the resort, so you'll need to contact them. I've linked their main site for you. It is pricier than some other places in PG proper, but the experience is fantastic. Each bungalow has a Pinoy family that takes care of guests. It is a lovely combination of tourism and local support. And the location is amazing! I guarantee that you won't be disapppointed in that regard. The last I heard was that CB resort had their ship swing by for 3-5 day trips, returning guests back to the reort when they were finished. Again, it has been awhile, so I am not sure.

http://www.cocobeach.com/services.shtml

Cheers!

Last edited:
The link you give, highdesert, is very interesting. The MMPAM run is a good one. It is also good from another standpoint. Getting around the Philippines on land is a test of patience, in particular with Malapascua. I don't personally know the dive op, but this plan looks good.

Thanks for the great info! Just received an e-mail back from that liveaboard group; they put all of their boats on the Tubbataha itinerary from late March into June ... so that 'round Cebu trip is not available in April when we are. Maybe another time ...

Keep us updated on what you do choose to do. I'm in freezing Seattle at the moment, getting ready to finish up my rescue diver course. I'm going to freeze my you know what off in this coooold water!

I'm living vicariously through your talk of warm water diving.

All the best.

Well, the realities of time and budget are starting to creep in, so I think our trip might get "simplified" a bit ...

Still looking at a Tubbataha liveaboard, but I think the land-based portion of our trip will be Puerto Galera. That way we reduce the number of shuttle flights to two, as well as the extra no-fly days that would happen with more flights. From what I've read here in the PPD forum, in other forums, and online searches, we certainly aren't going to be hurting finding some great diving in PG.

But thanks for all of the tips above ... we'll just have to do another trip!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom