Would this be unethical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did my PADI open water from an instructor who is not very well known. I was interested in filming underwater and asked him for a list of local wrecks. This he forwarded to me along with other stuff worth filming. I started working on the wrecks and by now I have enuff info on them to go and shoot.

The problem is that I found out later through someone that this guy does not have a clean reputation. He owes a lot of money to a lot of people and that is the reason why he does not advertise and stuff. I want to pursue my underwater filming but not through this instructor because it seems he cant be trusted with money.

Would it be unethical if I take the documentary to some other dive centre? The only thing this guy has given me was location of the wrecks and I could have gotten it from other sources too. These are well known wrecks so the info was never copyrighted by him. What do you people say?

SeaHound:
I did my PADI open water from an instructor who is not very well known. I was interested in filming underwater and asked him for a list of local wrecks. This he forwarded to me along with other stuff worth filming. I started working on the wrecks and by now I have enuff info on them to go and shoot.

The problem is that I found out later through someone that this guy does not have a clean reputation. He owes a lot of money to a lot of people and that is the reason why he does not advertise and stuff. I want to pursue my underwater filming but not through this instructor because it seems he cant be trusted with money.

Would it be unethical if I take the documentary to some other dive centre? The only thing this guy has given me was location of the wrecks and I could have gotten it from other sources too. These are well known wrecks so the info was never copyrighted by him. What do you people say?

My only comment would be that, out of courtesy, you should verify what you heard (maybe get his side of the story). It would be a shame to ditch this guy over an untrue rumor.

Regardless, I don't think you OWE him any loyalty.

is this related to one of your prev threads about diving on a wreck at tremendous depths with VERY limited (next to no) experience?!

My concern would be if this instructor were mad enough to help you in anyway with such an endeavour!

seahound, what agreement did you have with this instructor? what was your
"deal" with him? what did you offer him in exchange for the information?

SeaHound:
Hi Seahound!
Your profile says that you are a film/doc. producer. I do a little bit of that myself. I'm sure that you have access to legal advice as to copyright issues, and knowledge from prior works you've done. My wife is my assistant, and she spends several hours per week tracking and paying out royalties, or acquiring rights to various works.
As I'm sure you know, information and ideas cannot be copy written. You cannot copyright knowledge of wreck locations. You can write a book about it, and copyright the book, but not the information in it. But ALWAYS seek legal advise from a professional.
OTOH, this guys financial integrity may be in question, but the integrity of your word may be viewed as well.
Never enter into any form of agreement without putting it in writing.
Just my 1 cent.

Seahound,
We still have the issue of you being newly certified. That means you have practically zero experience and your basic open water does not certify, or prepare you for dives to deep depths and the type of diving the filming will require. Your BOW is really just a license to learn. IMHO you should not even attempt this film project of wrecks lying in waters over 60 (and many of them over 130) feet until you have at least 100 dives or more under your weight belt, and Advance Open Water training too. In fact you defiantly should be technically trained as well to do this project. I will wager that to get this project done will require DECO diving, for which recreational SCUBA instruction does not prepare you. That is of course IMHO. But what the heck, it is literally your funeral.

Mind if I ask how old you are? Older than 18? If not, any "verbal" contract made with the instructor may be useless, depending where you live.

SeaHound:

did you verify that what you,ve heard is true?If he,s not trustworthy,how come that he,s not very well known(as you mentioned above) In a community things like that usually go around like a bushfire and he would be known.It,s your call mate,you owe him nothing and you can choose anyone you favour.By the way,how was his instruction towards you and did he cheat you as well?peace! :06:

Back
Top Bottom