Would like to become an "official" swamp diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked for him today BUT it was really crowded......we must have been swimming in the water at least once together and did not enen know it--lol!!

while diving with bill i ran into someone underwater who was diving doubles. maybe it was you :wink:

unrelated to this, what would a thief gain by knowing what kind of car i drive? theres lots of cars there that they could do the same thing to. i dont keep anything worth taking inside anyway

I think Chris1999 has already been diving with a swamper, which makes him official. If that's the case, then I am official since I did a couple of dives with him on Sunday.

Chris - I had the same question about the danger of giving a car description. Why would a thief going out to CSSP prefer my car over any others just because I identified it on a message board? Now if I said "I'll be in the red mazda with $5,000 cash and a Rolex in the glove box" I could see a problem.

eieio 24, am I missing something here?

To Chris1999 and BillM777 :
The point is not necessarily that the thief would have anything to gain by breaking in and not finding anything, but the fact that he would have a greater opportunity. See, if you post something like that then they know that you are not coming back for a while, you will be under water, far from and out of sight of your vehicle. Then if they do get in, do not find anything, then they have the opportunity then to steal your ride. Now granted there may be other cars in the lot, but the thief does not know if that car owner is about to return, where a diver is assured to be away for maybe a good hour or more. Also, if you post a time to meet other divers, then they know your approximate time of arrival and might watch you leave, knowing you will be gone for a while. If you don't keep valuables inside, great. However, when i go diving, I usually take extra gear, and will have extra gear in the truck while away diving, or at the very least spare tanks and I wouldn't want them stolen.
Also, CSSP was mentioned and that may be a really safe place with no fear of thefts ( I have yet to dive there), but this does not apply to just there, but anywhere there is a lake, a boat ramp, marina, or any other public use area where a diver would be leaving their car.
If no one agrees with this then ok, take your chances, but having been in my line of work for 10 plus years, that kind of information does nothing but make things easier for the crafty car burglar. Like with any situation, you can 'what if' it all day, but my post was just a suggestion...

If no one agrees with this then ok, take your chances, but having been in my line of work for 10 plus years, that kind of information does nothing but make things easier for the crafty car burglar. Like with any situation, you can 'what if' it all day, but my post was just a suggestion...

i was just curious about the logic behind what you said :) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom