Worthy to Service your reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
How do you all decide who is capable and qualified to service your regulators? There are some shops that offer repair and service that..do not inspire my confidence. Are there certain qualifications that mean more than others? Do you "eyeball" the repair area, converse with the technician, just exactly how do you assess their competence?

catherine96821:
How do you all decide who is capable and qualified to service your regulators? There are some shops that offer repair and service that..do not inspire my confidence. Are there certain qualifications that mean more than others? Do you "eyeball" the repair area, converse with the technician, just exactly how do you assess their competence?

In my case, I decided to buy SP reg.

1. So, I ask how many SP regulators they is selling per month.
2. And, ask how many SP regulators they serve per year.
3. Any tech divers hang around with that shop.
4. If technician doesn't have "I am" syndrome.

Answer is "not that many" The shop monkey said, I have 8 brands' certifications to do the annual service. But, my reg has been freeflowed right after the service. LOL~ Hence, I serve mine by myself after then.

If you can find the tech, you can talk service stuff with him but you will have to be able to understand and evaluate what he says. It doesn't usually take to long for possible problems to reveal themselves. There really aren't any surefire trick questions that will quickly disclose the level of confidence. Other indications like the neatness of the workbench, the presense of professional type equipment like flow testers and cleaners, and the organization od parts and documentation can help but are not 100% indicators of the tech's qualifications.

Look here for the knowledge you can use: http://airspeedpress.com/

It would be $50 well spent. There are lots of service tasks you can do yourself. Unfortunately, it could be like learnig what's in hot dogs. Once you know, you may have to spend a lot of time looking for a satisfactory tech. At least you should have lots of choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom