worthington vs pst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
i just bought two worthington hp 120s and was wondering if the are rated to be as good as the pst tanks? as i have a pst hp120 also, paid $300 for each brand new, thanks for any info in advance

I'm interested in this answer as well. I just picked up a LP95 made by Worthington.

I've had the two side by side. To me (and this is just my casual observation from a small sample size) the PST tanks look more... refined. That said, I am ordering two Worthington LP108s next spring.

I have not seen the HP offerings from Worthington yet, so I cannot comment on those. The PST's are very nice tanks but I think Worthington is about to take a huge bite out of their market share.

I have had two PST HP120's. A group of us were talking about the PST's at the dive park this weekend. The experience of several people suggested that the PST's were very susceptible to internal rust, etc., especially if used on dive boats a lot. I know my first one failed hydro after just 10 years which was quite irritatring. Haven't tried the Worthingtons yet (hopefully my three current tanks will last for some time).

drbill:
The experience of several people suggested that the PST's were very susceptible to internal rust, etc., especially if used on dive boats a lot...
but I'm having difficulty with this statement. If any steel tank is kept pressurized to some degree with dry gas, and is refilled with whips that have no water (salt or fresh) droplets on the whips, internal rusting should not occur. If identical levels of moisture or water vapor are somehow introduced into two steel tanks, PST and Worthington, they should suffer roughly the same level of rusting over time. TTBOMK, the steel used for the tanks is basically the same.

OTOH, I've O2 cleaned steel tanks and they're all highly susceptible to flash rusting unless a rust inhibiter is used carefully during the cleaning process. I flash rusted one of my PST 130s and had to retumble it, and we'll see whats going on inside it during the next VIP. I suspect the same outcome would have occurred regardless of whether the tank was a PST or a Worthington.

Is there any data on this statement, or is this essentially an anecdote?

I had a PST E7-80 on order at the LDS, but they just got word (or so they tell me) that PST won't be able to deliver till next year.

They switched manufacturers to Worthington, and are willing to offer me the Worthington HP X7-80.

The Worthington is negligibly shorter (.3") than the PST, and the bouyancy characteristics seem a bit better:

PST: Empty; -2.5 Full; -8.5
Worthington: Empty; -3 Full; -9

The Worthington has a
convertable Din to Yoke Thermo Valve

Is this the same as PST's DIN/Yoke adapter?

undrwater:
I had a PST E7-80 on order at the LDS, but they just got word (or so they tell me) that PST won't be able to deliver till next year.

They switched manufacturers to Worthington, and are willing to offer me the Worthington HP X7-80.

The Worthington is negligibly shorter (.3") than the PST, and the bouyancy characteristics seem a bit better:

The Worthington has a

Is this the same as PST's DIN/Yoke adapter?

Sounds like the same valve I have on my E7-80s. I think Thermo calls it the Pro Valve. If you're diving with an 80 CF crowd it's a swell cylinder and can be had for much less that the 100 CF sister.

The Worthington seems to be a worthy (no pun intended) clone.

Pete

PST looks sharper.

Worthington is readily available (as is evident by my avatar).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom