worthington vs pst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
What do you mean by "rated"? It's a tank. It holds x-amount of compressed air or gas at y-amount of pressure. The end.
If you take care of it, it will outlast you. If your kids take care of it, it will outlast them. Grandkids I can't say. So what else is on your mind?

Tom, take it easy...

I think he just want to hear some reviews..... There is no huge meaning by "RATED":D

hoosier:
Do you have any pictures to show PST and Worthington tanks together?
Many members agreed that PST is prettier, so I would like to see the comparision.:D

Thanks in advance,

I own PSTs and have looked at Worthingtons as an option for additional purchases. From a cosmetic point of view take the following for what it's worth. From a functional point of view, they seem to be just as good as any other tank.

After a couple of salt water dives, a PST tank looks like a new Worthington tank. Just a matter of making the zinc coating on the PSTs look good for the showroom floor.

The Worthingtons do, however, seem to have more machine marks on the tank. This could mean poorly adjusted tooling, or simply that they don't care about the cosmetics and are dedicated to shipping a functional tank at a good price.

Caveat Emptor!

Tom

skyking:
The Worthingtons do, however, seem to have more machine marks on the tank. This could mean poorly adjusted tooling, or simply that they don't care about the cosmetics and are dedicated to shipping a functional tank at a good price.

Caveat Emptor!

Tom

Tom, thanks for your input. I think it is more than caring about the cosmetic based on the following statement.

Leadking:
I will agree, that for the current time, PST makes a slightly "Prettier" tank, but watch us, we are improving every day!

The Worington tank is a slightly cheaper than PST, but it will be the same for the used market.

After talking to my lds about the Worthington’s it seemed they had problems with the main O-ring blowing out after being filled just once and then remaining static. It may have been something they did can't say for sure. The only other thing that I see about the Worthington’s is the sharp corner where the neck was rolled as a machinist the rounded corner of the PST would be much more structurally sound but I am sure Worthington has many good engineers that have all ready made sure this is good enough for the girls we go out with.

ECVdiver:
After talking to my lds about the Worthington’s it seemed they had problems with the main O-ring blowing out after being filled just once and then remaining static. It may have been something they did can't say for sure. The only other thing that I see about the Worthington’s is the sharp corner where the neck was rolled as a machinist the rounded corner of the PST would be much more structurally sound but I am sure Worthington has many good engineers that have all ready made sure this is good enough for the girls we go out with.

That's is another concern about the Worthington tank. Many members mentioned that the air should be no more than the rated pressure, 3442 psi in the Worthington tank. I have seen many 4000psi on PST tanks. I am not sure if they are just saying it literally based on the manual though.

Leadking:
We no longer phosphate treat the interior of Worthington cylinders. The treatment cannot survive the temperature of hot dip galvinizing (850F).

I will agree, that for the current time, PST makes a slightly "Prettier" tank, but watch us, we are improving every day!

Lee
www.seapearls.com

"Pretty" is nowhere near as important as actually being able to buy one!
PST is pretty thin on the ground here, and me and my buddy just snagged 4 X8-119

And honestly, if your PST tanks still look pretty, you aren't diving enough!

hoosier:
Do you have any pictures to show PST and Worthington tanks together?
Many members agreed that PST is prettier, so I would like to see the comparision.:D

Thanks in advance,

Sorry no, it's just the galvanize looks slightly prettier on the PST.

My advide: Get whichever your store has in stock but dont believe anyone has the PST in unless you see it with your own eyes (I've been taken in by the "oh yes, we have one in stock, oh no we dont', maybe in 2007 ... ruse)

hey all, thanks so much for everyones input on this thread i started, i now have been using my pst 119 for almost a year, and the worthington for a few months and so far i find NO differance, they both wiegh about the same and they (after a few dives ) look the same, so needless to say SO FAR i am very pleased with the both of them and wont think twice on buying either one again in the future!!!!eyebrow

limeyx:
Sorry no, it's just the galvanize looks slightly prettier on the PST.

My advide: Get whichever your store has in stock but dont believe anyone has the PST in unless you see it with your own eyes (I've been taken in by the "oh yes, we have one in stock, oh no we dont', maybe in 2007 ... ruse)

Thanks for your advice though. My LDSs do not carry any steel tanks, so basically I have to buy the steel tank through on line or mail order. Guess what! where I am....

I have four PST steel tanks, so I know about PST tanks. I used to dive at the local fresh water (quarry) so that my PST tanks are still shiny....... Due to the low inventory of PST tanks in the market, I am thinking about Worthington tanks..... So~~~

I found out that the Worthington tank (130cf) has the higher neck than PST's one. The Worthington tank is almost double height on the neck. Does it matter to use with a manifold?

Thanks in advance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom