worthington vs pst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I've had the two side by side. To me (and this is just my casual observation from a small sample size) the PST tanks look more... refined. That said, I am ordering two Worthington LP108s next spring.

I have not seen the HP offerings from Worthington yet, so I cannot comment on those. The PST's are very nice tanks but I think Worthington is about to take a huge bite out of their market share.

Agreed on the look. The specs look basically identical.

I have PST 100's and just got an X8-119. Haven't dived it yet, but my buddy took his out last week and they seemed fine. Time will tell I guess, but around here, one could die of old age waiting for a PST to come in.

As for my post re: rusting on PST tanks, I have heard from several folks who had the same problem and experienced failed hydros after a "short" period of use (5-10 years). It is by no means a scientific survey with good statistics.

drbill:
I have had two PST HP120's. A group of us were talking about the PST's at the dive park this weekend. The experience of several people suggested that the PST's were very susceptible to internal rust, etc., especially if used on dive boats a lot. I know my first one failed hydro after just 10 years which was quite irritatring. Haven't tried the Worthingtons yet (hopefully my three current tanks will last for some time).

we had a couple fail hydro.. as it turned out they probably would not have failed had they been tested properly. PST tanks need to be taken up to a specified pressure, held there for a spacific period of time, drained and taken to test pressure.
Upon talking to PST and the hydro facility we found that PST originally hadn't required this and it is not technically their responsibility to diseminate this information to the hydro facilities but simply to make it available.. Nor is it spacifically the hydro facilities responsability to check for changes from the different MFG's... Huh?...
Now the hydro facility is charging us for 2 hydros on pst tanks.. as they have to pressurize them twice... too funny... not so for the customers that have to have their PST's hydroed before we can find a new facility though!
Get yourself a copy of the hydro spec's from PST and make sure your hydro facility is made aware of this procedure.

undrwater:
I had a PST E7-80 on order at the LDS, but they just got word (or so they tell me) that PST won't be able to deliver till next year.

They switched manufacturers to Worthington, and are willing to offer me the Worthington HP X7-80.

The Worthington is negligibly shorter (.3") than the PST, and the bouyancy characteristics seem a bit better:

The Worthington has a

Is this the same as PST's DIN/Yoke adapter?

check out the X7-85 maybe an inch taller then the E7-80 basically the same buoyancy but 5 more cf... just a thought

PerroneFord:
I believe the coating only applied to the LP tanks (speaking of Worthington) before they began the hot dip on them. Now all their tanks are hot dipped. The older LP tanks are easily discerned because they are white on the outside like the old Fabers.

We no longer phosphate treat the interior of Worthington cylinders. The treatment cannot survive the temperature of hot dip galvinizing (850F).

I will agree, that for the current time, PST makes a slightly "Prettier" tank, but watch us, we are improving every day!

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Under Pressure:
But most importantly, you can actually get the Worthington tanks.

We waited like a year and a half for an order of PST 130's, 119's, 100's at first we heard that they couldn't get the steal as it had been all bought up so we'd have to wait 2 - 3 months... month 4 we call.. "oh.. were behind wait another month" blah..blah..blah.. this went on for over a year then we heard about the Worthington's and that they were only a few months away they came out we ordered they arrived 5 days later.. made another order of 130's, 119's, 100's we got them 5 days later and we cancelled PST.. For giggles I first asked them when we would be recieving our order,, "well, we are trying to fill others orders that are ahead of you so we'll be shipping yours out in about 2 months... that would have been something like 1 year 9 months! :banghead:

My feeling is that PST will soon stop making scuba tanks.. they were never really commited to them it is something that they kind of fell into. The worthingtons are very very close in all ways.. and the biggest thing is, as you say, that they are availalbe.

What the heck do I know though

Well, if you are a metalurgical scientist with access to pressure testing laboratories, you may be able to determine which is the better tank.

Anyone here qualify?????

the K

limeyx:
Agreed on the look. The specs look basically identical.

I have PST 100's and just got an X8-119. Haven't dived it yet, but my buddy took his out last week and they seemed fine. Time will tell I guess, but around here, one could die of old age waiting for a PST to come in.

Do you have any pictures to show PST and Worthington tanks together?
Many members agreed that PST is prettier, so I would like to see the comparision.:D

Thanks in advance,

What do you mean by "rated"? It's a tank. It holds x-amount of compressed air or gas at y-amount of pressure. The end.
If you take care of it, it will outlast you. If your kids take care of it, it will outlast them. Grandkids I can't say. So what else is on your mind?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom