Worthington Tanks - Anyone Have Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Seems like they have recently entered the scuba tank marketplace ( I couldn't find anything about scuba on their website).

Does anyone own own one of these and if so, any positive or negative experience?

Otter:
Seems like they have recently entered the scuba tank marketplace ( I couldn't find anything about scuba on their website).

Does anyone own own one of these and if so, any positive or negative experience?

I'd be interested hearing feedback as well. Too bad I can't just drive down to the manufacturing facility (30 mins) and buy them--nobody around here has even heard of them.

Sean

I bought two of the LP85's from Joel who is a member of this board. They're smaller than an aluminum 80 and can hold 50% more air overpumped. What more need be said?
I like LP steel tanks. Galvanized is ok - my wife has a few, but I can live with the painted finish.

Tom Winters:
I bought two of the LP85's from Joel who is a member of this board. They're smaller than an aluminum 80 and can hold 50% more air overpumped. What more need be said?
I like LP steel tanks. Galvanized is ok - my wife has a few, but I can live with the painted finish.

I prefer galvanized as well. Just looking to see (1) are they really THAT new on the scuba market, and (2) if anyone has had any issues with passing viz, hydro, rust, ruptures, balance, etc...

I am looking at buying a couple of the LP95s, and would like to hear any other feedback as well.

Looks like the HP tanks got pushed back to june at least

Tom Winters:

Tom, Glad you like the tanks. The Worthington tanks were made in response to Faber changing distribution methods and PST not being able to supply to the demand.

In general terms the Worthington cylinder is a hybrid combining the best features of both the PST and the Faber. Lighter than PST, but heavier than Faber. More of a squat bottom like PST less like Faber.

On our website we have the specs for each of the Worthington cylinders we are selling now. Either go to http://www.techdivinglimited.com and follow to Cylinders or -- use this direct link

http://69.72.128.66/~scuba/tdl/nstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_97

They are priced competitively and come with the super nice Thermo Pro Din/K Nitrox valve.

Worthington is not new to making cylinders I expect these to be as good as the Faber's have been over the years.

Regards,

JS1scuba:
In general terms the Worthington cylinder is a hybrid combining the best features of both the PST and the Faber. Lighter than PST, but heavier than Faber. More of a squat bottom like PST less like Faber.

Worthington is not new to making cylinders I expect these to be as good as the Faber's have been over the years.

Regards,

JS1scuba...I appreciate your sharing your insight here, but I am a little confused by what you mean by "lighter than PST". Are you comparing to the old PST LPs?

For ex. the Worthington weight empty:
108: 42# empty
121: 48# empty.
If overfilled to 2640 estimate (for purposes of comparing to new PSTs):
108= aprox 119 cuft air
121= aprox 133 cuft air

Comparing to PST (assuming Worthingtons overfill numbers), the comparable tanks would be:
E7-120: 38# empty
E8-130: 43# empty.

As far as the swing weights...the data I have on the Worthingtons is:
108s: -8 to neutral
121s: -9 to +1

PST:
120s: -10.5 to neutral
130s: -10.5 to -1

I don't see how the Worthington's are "lighter"...even if giving them the benefit of the doubt and comparing them overfilled. (If not overfilled they would be comparatively even heavier with less gas).

One question I have...the "+" overfill rating I seem to remember use to be valid for only a set number of years on a new tank (10?) then it was officially no longer valid. Is this true with the Worthingtons?

Thanks.

MudDog:
JS1scuba...I appreciate your sharing your insight here, but I am a little confused by what you mean by "lighter than PST". Are you comparing to the old PST LPs?

--------

8 inch to 8 inch Worthington 108 to the PST E-8 there is about a 1-2 lbs difference. I dont have the specs in front of me.

cheers

jds

MudDog:
For ex. the Worthington weight empty:
108: 42# empty
121: 48# empty.
If overfilled to 2640 estimate (for purposes of comparing to new PSTs):
108= aprox 119 cuft air
121= aprox 133 cuft air
Just thought I'd point out that a 108 is 108 with the 10% overfill (2640psi).

Jason

Back
Top Bottom