Worthington Tanks - Anyone Have Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B:
Just thought I'd point out that a 108 is 108 with the 10% overfill (2640psi).

Jason

I appreciate your posting this. I had read from a different site that the Worthington LP108 and LP121 had a service pressure of 2400+ PSI and were "Plus" rated for 10% overfill to 2640 psi. If Worthington IS posting capacity at their overfill pressure (different reporting method than the old PST LP104s)...that would make make them even heavier to my way of thinking (i.e. more weight for less air).

JS1scuba:
MudDog:
JS1scuba...I appreciate your sharing your insight here, but I am a little confused by what you mean by "lighter than PST". Are you comparing to the old PST LPs?

--------

8 inch to 8 inch Worthington 108 to the PST E-8 there is about a 1-2 lbs difference. I dont have the specs in front of me.

cheers

jds

If I understand you correctly, are you comparing just the external dimensions? In other words, and 8" diameter 26" tall PST to a simlar Worthington?

If so that would be a PST E8-130 to a Worthington LP108
E8-130: 8" diam 26.12" H
LP108: 8" diam 26.5" H

E8-130: 43# empty
108: 42# empty

E8-130: 130 cuft gas at max fill
LP108: (according to "Jason B"'s prior post...at max fill ("overfill") 2640) 108cuft gas

If exterior dimensions are the sole criteria, then yes the Worthingtons are a pound lighter. But then their swing weight offsets this:
LP108s: -8 to neutral
E8130s: -10.5 to -1

...bkz in theory you would need the extra pound to offset the Worthington's neutral buoyancy.

So yes, again in terms of exterior dimensions about the same...but I was more concerned about comparing cylinders with like gas capacity. In this comparison, PST at max fill has an additional 22cuft gas (130 VS 108).

Best regards,
Jeff

+(plus) rating is good for as long as the tank passes REE tests
The procedures and requirements are found in 49 CFR 173.302(c) for plus stamping, and 173.34(e)(16) for the star. REE values for common cylinders can be found in Compressed Gas Association Pamphlet C-5, "Cylinder Service Life, Seamless High Pressure Cylinders".

Leadking:
+(plus) rating is good for as long as the tank passes REE tests
The procedures and requirements are found in 49 CFR 173.302(c) for plus stamping, and 173.34(e)(16) for the star. REE values for common cylinders can be found in Compressed Gas Association Pamphlet C-5, "Cylinder Service Life, Seamless High Pressure Cylinders".

Thanks for the information. Yes, I was aware that this condition must be met...but was under the impression that as the tank ages, it is more likely it won't pass...and thus lose its "+" rating.

I don't believe you are correct that the old PST 104s are rated at 104 cft at 2400 psi. The 10% overfill pressure gives you the 104 cft.

MudDog:
I appreciate your posting this. I had read from a different site that the Worthington LP108 and LP121 had a service pressure of 2400+ PSI and were "Plus" rated for 10% overfill to 2640 psi. If Worthington IS posting capacity at their overfill pressure (different reporting method than the old PST LP104s)...that would make make them even heavier to my way of thinking (i.e. more weight for less air).

Dan Gibson:
I don't believe you are correct that the old PST 104s are rated at 104 cft at 2400 psi. The 10% overfill pressure gives you the 104 cft.

Correct. Actually its 106.2 cft at 2640 psi. Go figure.

Randy43068:
Is this the same company that makes LP gas cylinders ?
According to their website, yes.

Otter:
According to their website, yes.

The main factory is just down the street from me, so to speak. (Worthington is a burb of Columbus) I'm going to run down there and see if I can get a set of seconds at a very low price!
:wink:

Does anyone here know in which factory the scuba tanks are made?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom