Worthington LP7-77 vs Alum 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only two reasons aluminum tanks are popular, especially for rentals in the Caribbean, is because they are cheap and their corrosion resistance.

If that is the case, why does everyone prefer the steel? Again, this is all new to me, so thanks for the help. All of my diving is in the Carib. if that makes a difference.

Roger

???

Sure, AL is light, but for matched capacity, AL cylinders are always heavier than steel ones.

Not for matched capacity.
In general, I meant that LDS/Resort doesn't want to carry the heavy steel tank option.

If that is the case, why does everyone prefer the steel? Again, this is all new to me, so thanks for the help. All of my diving is in the Carib. if that makes a difference.

Roger

why does everyone prefer the steel you ask?

Mostly because steel tanks are more negative bouyant when in water. Typically about 6 pounds or so, depending on the tank compared to an AL80.

This means you can dive with 6 pounds less lead on your weight belt.

Another reason people prefer them in the case of LP (low pressure) tanks is that people overfill them, giving you more capacity.

Like hoosier said, do a search and you'll find all kinds of threads about the new LP77's and why to buy them over the AL80's.

I am a welder in a large factory that sees a lot of steel cylinders. a few months ago I changed an O2 cylinder with a 1907 hydro date. Thats a 100 year old steel cylinder still in service. Steel is real.

Technically, it doesn't have "+" rating, does it? I just want to clarify it.

Please let me know if I am mis-informed.

I believe the LP77s are 2400+ cylinders.

I own two of the Worthington steel 77cf tanks and I like them very much. The reasons have been listed before. To my mind, there is no comparison; the steel wins out every time.

If I had more room, I would buy more of them.

I'm going with the LP77 with a Convertible PRO Valve: +$15.

Thanks for the advise!!!!

OK so the thread has "ended". What I meant by my post was that with the plus rating, that mine came with, they are 2640.

Back
Top Bottom