Worthington LP7-77 vs Alum 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rleslie

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm about to purchase two tanks for our 4 month stay in the Exumas. I'm trying to decide between the Worthington 7-77 (Worthington LP7-77 Scuba Cylinder - Worthington Galvanized Low Pressure Cylinders - Galvanized Scuba Cylinders)
and an Alum 80 (Neutrally Buoyant Aluminum 80 Tank, Scuba Tanks, Luxfer, Neutrally Buoyant Aluminum 80 Tank)

I know nothing about tanks and need a quick education. I sure would appreciate any comments.

Roger

What do you want to know?

Both will give you 77 cu ft of gas at their rated pressure.
The LP77s are going to be shorter than the al80s by 2.5 inches.
The LP77s are 3 lbs lighter on land and are 1 lbs more negative in the water. Net net, you wind up about 4lbs lighter on land if you use LP77s.

No question...

I simply go to LP from divesports.com

Why? It has been covered SO SO many times on the board.. Search is your friend here....

LP 77's are really nice. And if you get a fill over 2640 you've got more air than 77cf.

I would go for the 77's, you will almost always get a full tank or over-full if I had to choose between the 2 you mentioned.

The Neutral 80 if full at 3300, most shops will fill it as a standard AL80 to 3000 not knowing the difference and you will tend to be under-filled by 10% much of the time.

Personally, if I was going to spend the money on a steel tank, I would go slightly larger to the 95/100 size of tank. But I am a big guy and this might not be right for you.

LP 77's are really nice. And if you get a fill over 2640 you've got more air than 77cf.

Technically, it doesn't have "+" rating, does it? I just want to clarify it.

Please let me know if I am mis-informed.

My preference would also be the steel LP 77.

The only reservation would be how good are the air fill (as in how dry) wile in the Bahamas. I dough it will be a problem (once you locate convenient air fill at all), but it is something to be aware of.

Also, make sure that the tank valve and the filler whip are blown dry before anyone connects them to fill. Many are probably still using a water bath to fill tanks and in some cases the bath may be salt water (if they are in a marina). You don’t want any water or moisture going into your tanks. It doesn’t mater what tank material, but especially steel.

Any moisture (water drops) or dust in the valve connection will be blown into the tank with the air fill if the connection is not clean. The air will push anything in its way.

If you do get a lot of fills, you may what to have the tanks VIP when you get back. Just in case. It may catch a bit of moisture early enough.

I don’t mean to scare you. I always use steel tanks and I grew up in the Caribbean. You just want to be careful not to allow moisture inside. It is that simple.

The only two reasons aluminum tanks are popular, especially for rentals in the Caribbean, is because they are cheap and their corrosion resistance.

The only two reasons aluminum tanks are popular, especially for rentals in the Caribbean, is because they are cheap and their corrosion resistance.

One more, AL is light. They don't want to move the heavy tank everytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom