How to price these tanks for sale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all. Hope you're enjoying your diving.

I have just ordered my first hp steel tank and I promised the wife that I'd get rid of a couple aluminum's that I have. I am looking for a price/value on these and would appreciate some advice.

The tanks are Luxfer, aluminum 80's, born on date 7/96, last hydro 10/17, visuals expired, 02 cleaned and filled with 32%. The valves are a set of DGX long right and left. I have the H-Valve and the cross over which would be included.

Tank history... They were bought new in the keys by a neighbor who dove them about 5 times. They moved with him to North Florida where they were hydroed a few times but not dove. Probably 10 to 12 fills in the first few hydro years. I bought the tanks from him, changed the valves, stripped the paint, and had them O2 cleaned. I've dove them for a few years but decided I wanted an hp100. The tanks have probably only been filled 75 times at most.

Also, I'm located in the Pensacola area if that makes a difference. I'd rather sell local than try to ship and could meet between Mobile-ish and Destin-ish.

Any advice on how i should price these would be appreciated. Thanks C-

Attachments

• PXL_20211210_173016584.jpg
    PXL_20211210_173016584.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20211210_173130493.jpg
    PXL_20211210_173130493.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20211210_173109208.jpg
    PXL_20211210_173109208.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20211210_173030077.jpg
    PXL_20211210_173030077.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 84
Something to consider:

Luxfer stopped producing 6351 alloy cylinders sometime in 1988, which means the aluminium alloy yours are made from should be 6061 alloy that is not susceptible to SLC.

The problem you or anyone who purchases these tanks is that they are nearly 26 years old....and while the alloy is good, an ever increasing number of shops have decided to limit the age of the aluminium cylinders they will fill to those less than 20 years old.

The above issue has been repeated discussed here on ScubaBoard, and while seemingly unfair, it is what it is.

Anyone purchasing an aluminium cylinder 20 year or older should check with the shop(s) where they plan on having them filled, prior to purchase, to ensure they will accept them. It would suck to incur the expense of purchasing a cylinder and having it hydrostatically and visually inspected only to find that ones local shop(s) will refuse to fill them due to local policy.

Of course, the above is totally moot if one owns their own compressor or using one owned by a friend.

-Z

Understood. I had considered that and that's why I wanted to be up front about all the details. Luckily our local shops have never batted an eye at the age, only the alloy.

I have 2 old ones myself that while passing all the bells and whistles and are mint, cant seem to be sold. Luckily the shop closet to me will fill them so they are relegated to my shop bottles. "poor mans compressor"

When I have students ask how much they should spend on used AL80s I always tell them not to spend more than they are willing to lose. That would be including a vip and hydro. That usually works out to be $100 or less for the tank.

Tanks that old, I wouldn't bother with more than $50 to $75. But I'm not a tank collector either...

Quit making promises. Such cylinders are great around the house for filling tires and blowing air to clean things. Just buy a garage reg along with a schrader and air adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom