Worthington hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interested reading. i saved myself a copy of this in PDF form from the website provided in on of the responses in the first page for future reference

We have the change in Worthington's SP14157. The test protocol has been changed so we can now hydro these tanks with a good chance that they can be recertified and returned to service. I am still checking on the 3AA ones, There is no change on them.

All of you that have been holding off on the hydro on your Worthington SP14157 tanks, You can have them hydro, They should pass now. Inform you retester that the SP has been updated and they should download a current special permit with the date of July 31 2011 on it.

From Experience: one new hydro shop failed one of my worthington 100s, and pass the other. They were from a set of double. both the same DOB, same tanks...

I asked the lds who hydroed the tank. I went to visit the hydro facility and asked to see the test report. (all shops are required by DOT to maintain resport on all the tanks they hydro. I further asked how they Hydroed these tanks. they told me that they did the first test at 5163 psi and then the next at 100 psi higher. (the first test was way higher then recommended) When I told them that the tanks required 3 tests at different pressures, they replied that it was not DOT required...

Bottom line, I went back to the LDS and demanded new replacement tanks (even for the one that passed, as it was not done properly) I picked up two new tanks just a few weeks ago...

Don't let hydro shops get away with screwing up your expensive tanks just because they don't have a clue, or are too lazy to follow manufacturer;s procedures....

And you can hold the lds accountable, as you dropped your tanks at the lds & paid the lds for the Hydro. They should be responsible for their subcontractors...

From Experience: one new hydro shop failed one of my worthington 100s, and pass the other. They were from a set of double. both the same DOB, same tanks...

I asked the lds who hydroed the tank. I went to visit the hydro facility and asked to see the test report. (all shops are required by DOT to maintain resport on all the tanks they hydro. I further asked how they Hydroed these tanks. they told me that they did the first test at 5163 psi and then the next at 100 psi higher. (the first test was way higher then recommended) When I told them that the tanks required 3 tests at different pressures, they replied that it was not DOT required...

What worthington tank is this, SP14157 at 3442psi TP 5250psi
Where did you get this "required 3 tests at different pressures"
They are correct. The retester does not have to follow the Manufacture's recomendations.

Bottom line, I went back to the LDS and demanded new replacement tanks (even for the one that passed, as it was not done properly) I picked up two new tanks just a few weeks ago...

Don't let hydro shops get away with screwing up your expensive tanks just because they don't have a clue, or are too lazy to follow manufacturer;s procedures....

And you can hold the lds accountable, as you dropped your tanks at the lds & paid the lds for the Hydro. They should be responsible for their subcontractors...

What worthington tank is this, SP14157 at 3442psi TP 5250psi
Where did you get this "required 3 tests at different pressures"
They are correct. The retester does not have to follow the Manufacture's recomendations.

well... they used arbitrary test pressure (with no pre-stretch) and failed the tank... so even though DOT does not require it... had they followed manufacturer's procedure, I doubt the tank would have failed..... DOT does not manufacture tanks...

interested reading. i saved myself a copy of this in PDF form from the website provided in on of the responses in the first page for future reference

How do save threads as PDF's?

well... they used arbitrary test pressure (with no pre-stretch) and failed the tank... so even though DOT does not require it... had they followed manufacturer's procedure, I doubt the tank would have failed..... DOT does not manufacture tanks...

Although I agree DOT does not make tanks. But unfortunately they are the federal organization that the tester has to obey by. Dont take me wrong like I wrote I agree with you, and have a tanks up for hydro next year. I hope Worthington and the DOT get this resolved.

Although I agree DOT does not make tanks. But unfortunately they are the federal organization that the tester has to obey by. Don't take me wrong like I wrote I agree with you, and have a tanks up for hydro next year. I hope Worthington and the DOT get this resolved.

I understand. Its not all about DOT. The manufacturer of the tank had engineers design the tanks according to their knowledge of metals & their properties... I'm sure a million test (give or take..lol) has went into research to be sure the tanks are safe to use. As such if anyone should dictate how to re-qualify the tank it certainly is its manufacturer.

DOT doesn't say that you cant pre-stretch the metal (according to Manufacturer's procedures) prior to doing the actual hydro test...

I understand. Its not all about DOT. The manufacturer of the tank had engineers design the tanks according to their knowledge of metals & their properties... I'm sure a million test (give or take..lol) has went into research to be sure the tanks are safe to use. As such if anyone should dictate how to re-qualify the tank it certainly is its manufacturer.

DOT doesn't say that you cant pre-stretch the metal (according to Manufacturer's procedures) prior to doing the actual hydro test...

I am a electrician. Even though I know I can wire things safely, I still have to wire things according to the National Electric Code. Also the Electrical Engineer who designs the circuit has to design by code. To bad the engineers did not take DOT rules in consideration when designing our tanks.

Back
Top Bottom