worthington HP loosing its hot dip galvanized coating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a pair of Worthinton hp100 in 2008. I just noticed that some of the hot dip galvanized coating started chipping on the bottom, exposing the steel underneath.

Someone else got that little problem?

I thing I'll spray paint some anti-rust paint there? Good or bad idea?

in my case it is on the base of the cylinder. I don't know for the hydro, the tank is still on its first hydro.

search "captain" posts on the subject. He has posted on the finish to use.

Same thing happened to mine over a year ago.
Sent them back for replacement on warranty.
The replacements have shown no sign of the same problem (yet).
Also had a buddy with the same problem.....his were denied warranty??????(as far as I know).

YMMV.

Is it the gray finish? If so mine had done it and I bought some ZRC finish. It looks like paint but they claim it is not. It is like a zinc finish. I called Worthington and they told me it is what they spray their tanks with after the tanks are galvanized. And they would not warrent my tanks.

ZRC Galvalite, nuff said.

That is the brand, most people call it cold galvenizing.

It comes is brush or spray can. Apply to bare metal two coats, mix or shake well.

What captain said.

Do you guy's have the good boots that keep the cylinder base off the floor?

I had a few used PST cylinders that lost the finish on the base, the boots were crap. Cold galvanize finish as a primer and matching top coat seems to be working. Oh, and new boots!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom