Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a dive in difficult conditions that was less than enjoyable due to a photographer going off in the wrong direction to get pics of a ray. His dive buddy went with him leaving the DM and I to scratch our heads and wonder WTF happened. Everything turned out ok in the end but the dive was pretty much ruined by the time they were located. Then after a debrief they refused to dive the site again, even though it was on them for wandering off in bad viz and a strong current.

Not unique to Coz though...could happen anyplace.

All in all, it was a difficult experience to go through, but watching the people pull together to get San Miguel back together was an entirely different experience than watching the aftermath of Katrina...
To be fair, when Wilma was done with Cozumel, the water went away.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2013 at 06:58 PM ----------

Yeah...I thought food outside of hotel buffet was quite good. We loved Especias!
I have always liked Especias a lot, but on our last visit when we went to eat there I found that Adrian is no longer running it (although it still may be his place) and the fare has changed from Caribbean/seafood to Italian. We walked a few blocks and went to Kondesa instead. The seared tuna was superb.

Had a dive in difficult conditions that was less than enjoyable due to a photographer going off in the wrong direction to get pics of a ray. His dive buddy went with him leaving the DM and I to scratch our heads and wonder WTF happened. Everything turned out ok in the end but the dive was pretty much ruined by the time they were located. Then after a debrief they refused to dive the site again, even though it was on them for wandering off in bad viz and a strong current.

Not unique to Coz though...could happen anyplace.
Not in Puerto Vallarta. When J went the wrong way in low viz water with moderate current, I decided to stick with the group since the DM seemed to know where he was going (it wasn't a drift dive and this was really low viz, 5-7 feet at most, not "Cozumel bad viz"). No one else noticed she was gone until we ascended after the dive and I pointed out that the DM lost her :) I didn't want to say anything before then. Why ruin the dive for everyone else?

J didn't ascend for at least another five minutes after the rest of us, well away from the boat. I was almost getting worried that something happened to her and I'd have to make a claim on the DAN insurance, but no such luck!

I am not a big shopper by any means. However, when traveling it is fun to seek out items for my house(i.e. glass mosaic fish, silver vase, painted plates etc.) so most of the decorations are from destinations all over the world. However Cozumel is paradise for my husband partly because I avoid shopping like the plague. The hawkers, haggling, pushy salesman make it more aggravating than it is worth. I went to Cinco Soles to experience hassle free shopping, only to have employees follow me like a shadow everywhere(especially bad in the jewelry department). I have managed to live out my life without committing any felonies, certainly not to be treated as a criminal.

Fortunately the good far, far outweighs the bad. As for the restaurants, Cozumel offers the best bang for the buck when comparing to other Caribbean destinations..

They stole my beef jerky stash at the red lite district at the airport.

Pam was testing all the different drinks at the bar across from Papa Hogs and I was drinking the ones she didn't like. Thought I was going to puke in my reg during the next morning dives.

Our room at Villa Blanca, the shower was salt water. Fortunatly hugs and kisses next door had plenty of large jugs of fresh water and we had plenty of baby powder.

Running the gauntlet of hawkers to go eat in the evenings in town.

Most recently having to walk an extra block away from the airport to get a taxi.

The water is too cold in March, 79 degrees, burr.

Had a 6' green moray with a head about 1' diameter free swimming and didn't have a camera.

Can't go to the East side at night. As I understand it they lock the gates.

I really have no complaints, but If I had one wish, it would be that Coz had a night life more along the lines of Playa.

The last time I was in Cozumel, I got lectured by a taxi driver for giving him bum directions and he claimed I exceeded the taxi zone for what he had quoted me and then I had a crabby waiter when my drink was mixed wrong. I have requested the same taxi trip numerous times and had no issues and left a big tip and I order the same drink every time and have never had it brought that poorly. OTher than that, I am ready to return, indeed, I have my tickets and there is one bar that I may not return to. The taxi thing is a bit vexing, but I will not rent a car so I figure I can live with it. One bad driver out of a hundred is not bad.

The worst thing that ever happened to me in Cozumel?

1. Mexican customs confiscated 24 of my expensive rechargeable Enloop AA batteries as I was leaving the country. They said that I was not permitted to leave the country with batteries on my person. They said to place the batteries in my checked luggage next time. 24 x $5 = $120 Adios!

2. I used a credit card at a bank in San Miguel for a cash advance. I paid cash for everything else. When I got home I found more than a dozen fraudulent charges to that card from all over Mexico.

Cozumel is still #1 in my book. Love the people, love the place, love the diving. Been going to Scuba Club Cozumel for years and always had a great experience.

Reactions: Jax
I really have no complaints, but If I had one wish, it would be that Coz had a night life more along the lines of Playa.
Funny, but the relative lack of night life (compared to, say, Cancun) is one of the things I like most about Cozumel. Cancun is about the night life; Cozumel is about the day life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom