Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6yrs ago in the Occidental (non divers at the time), the food was abyssmal and the NewYrs Eve dinner a sad sad joke. And my young son getting sick from eating at the main square in San Miguel. Doing things a lot different next near.

What a bummer of a thread. I choose to be positive about my paradise and won't participate in offering the "worst of".

Glass is half full regards,
Jeff

What a bummer of a thread. I choose to be positive about my paradise and won't participate in offering the "worst of".

Glass is half full regards,
Jeff

I really don't think so, I'm actually glad the op started the thread. I'll be traveling there for my first time here in the near future. I've read plenty on all the positives but I prefer to not be oblivious to some of the shady things that happen there so being able to know about these things makes me a well informed traveler on how to not get scammed or taken advantage of

And the best part is none of these are "Avoid Cozumel at all cost" type replies but instead more of the informational light mood type that are very real personal experiences.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The missus said her worst experience was one time they were driving around and parked to meet someone near the Pemex downtown. A drunk staggered up to the car and was trying to get money from them. They put the window up and a friend who was there called the polica who came and took him to sleep it off.

Another time the IMN guy in Cancun told her she was NEVER allowed to come back to Mexico until she got a temporary resident card because she visited to much. She was a little freaked out by it. She had only made maybe 4 or 5 week long trips in the previous year? Of course it wasn't true, but it took a couple trips after convince her she was going to IMN jail or something.

Of course both times were girls trips I wasn't on. They have all the excitement.

The first time I went to Coz. The LDS from OKC, when I was stationed at Ft.Sill, set up a trip, and booked the hotel next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. My room was directly over the top of the band area. Booming rock music until 4AM each morning. There were other issues with that trip and that hotel, and I'm glad I gave Cozumel another chance, making my own arrangements.
If a trip seems too cheap to be true, it probably is.

I know, some of them, maybe many of them, are competent, careful divers. But I didn't ever want to be paired up again with a disaster waiting to happen.

great... wife and I are diving Cozumel from a cruise ship in March; we're bringing our own gear, don't leave each other's side, and not dropping below 60', no matter what the DM says.

after getting cowboy'd when swimming over a platform the last two times at the local quarry during checkout; can't say there isn't any lack of trepidation towards seeing who else comes off the boat with us...

great... wife and I are diving Cozumel from a cruise ship in March; we're bringing our own gear, don't leave each other's side, and not dropping below 60', no matter what the DM says.

after getting cowboy'd when swimming over a platform the last two times at the local quarry during checkout; can't say there isn't any lack of trepidation towards seeing who else comes off the boat with us...

!. DON'T go with the Cruise vendors.
2. DO set up your dives with an op ahead of time and tell them your requirements. It should be much cheaper for a higher grade of service.

If you are worried about the back on the boat thing, my op takes cruisers ALL the time without issue.

Worst experience: The food, especially the pizza, at Ohana's was overrated and expensive and the service was slow and unenthusiastic at best; and unrelatedly, no, I don't want my hair braided. Oh, also some guy tried to sell me oxycontin in the main square. I felt like I was in Washington Square Park in N.Y.C. 20 years ago.

!. DON'T go with the Cruise vendors.

already bought and paid for. :duck:

no worries, we'll be back down that way soon enough; already busy planning 'proper' scuba vacations for when we have a much higher dive count. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom