Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah...I thought food outside of hotel buffet was quite good. We loved Especias!

Worst experience: The food, especially the pizza, at Ohana's was overrated and expensive and the service was slow and unenthusiastic at best; and unrelatedly, no, I don't want my hair braided. Oh, also some guy tried to sell me oxycontin in the main square. I felt like I was in Washington Square Park in N.Y.C. 20 years ago.

Wow. I would never have guessed that. I know the pizza does take a while to come out of the over, but I thought it was delish the next day on the plane as well. Service was fine too. Shame it wasnt good for you. We sort consider that the neighborhood bar....

I would love to have my hair braided. Actually, I was thinking dreads, mon....

And your last: I almost had that problem when I was running around the square trying to find a churro vendor for the missus before they all left. Friend thought it was the funniest thing, searching for someone to sell me a 'churro.' Gotta love the local slang....

Reactions: Jax
Tracy, I can relate! I had a similar experience the first (and only) time I stayed @ the Barracuda. The spring break pool scene there gets louder and louder as the day progresses, but does cycle down (somewhat) in the eve. One eve I was woken up at 11:30pm by ear splitting music. I was told at the desk it wasn't the pool bar sound system but the bar 2 doors down... a place called 1.5. They were having an "event". OK, I didn't like it but I can endure till 2am. No way did it stop at 2am. I sat outside with the staff people watching young Cozumel kids having fun... till 4am.

I ended up talking myself out of being mad by admitting I did a lot of stuff when I was young and this was their time... But now I make sure and stay where it is pretty quiet, day and night. Bar 1.5 is no longer there, but the Barracuda pool scene is.

The first time I went to Coz. The LDS from OKC, when I was stationed at Ft.Sill, set up a trip, and booked the hotel next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. My room was directly over the top of the band area. Booming rock music until 4AM each morning. There were other issues with that trip and that hotel, and I'm glad I gave Cozumel another chance, making my own arrangements.
If a trip seems too cheap to be true, it probably is.

My worst experience in Cozumel was entirely my fault. We flew down to Cozumel just in time to get hit by Hurricane Wilma (don't ask...the hurricane center said it was going to Cuba before we left). Spent two days huddled in a hotel bathroom and 5 more days waiting on a flight home. I was amazed several times though by the different merchants we dealt with. Casa Mexicana ended up only charging us $6/day for our stay despite being one of the first places on the island to get their generator and water plant running. Lots of people would have willingly paid hundreds of dollars to get what we had at that point. Christi gave us a credit to be used when we came back for the diving. When we went to book to come back, she told us that the hotel rates were cheaper on our package that we booked through her than they had been when we originally paid, and tried to offer us a refund. I was amazed...I know times were tight for everybody down there after the storm and Christi was spending plenty to get her boats back in shape, and she wanted to give me money back if I came down to dive.

All in all, it was a difficult experience to go through, but watching the people pull together to get San Miguel back together was an entirely different experience than watching the aftermath of Katrina, and I gained alot of respect for the residents and merchants in Cozumel as a result.

Met a great girl from Roatan on a Coz trip a few years back. She was a bartender at one of the local watering holes in San Miguel. After expressing how much I loved my own visits to Roatan, I shared some photos that I had on my phone. As it happened, one of the pics, taken of the shoreline during a water-taxis trip from West Bay up to West End, was coincidentally a perfect shot of her former beach-house. Needless to say, we bonded over that moment and had a great evening laughing and talking. We hung-out a bunch while I was there, about seven days, and kept in touch a little afterwards. The following year I was down again and ran into another friend who was bestys at one time with this girl. Apparently they had had a falling-out recently and didn't keep in touch much anymore, but she gave her a call anyway to let her know I was in town. We agreed to meet up the following afternoon to catch up over some drinks. I was really looking forward to seeing her again, but she never showed. I wasn't able to ever get hold of her to find out if she was okay, and had to fly out next day - BUMMER! The Cuban I had that evening was crap too!

Last edited:
Me and the misses had fun back in 08 at uno punto cinco and I believe it's still there? Not just for the kids you know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My first trip, I had no hot water (the old Scuba Shack behind the old Ernesto's location). On my second trip, I got bit by a damselfish (it drew blood) on the La Ceiba plane wreck and then stepped on a long-spined urchin getting out of the water. On my third trip, I bumped a table and spilled a drink on my friend's wife's dress. On my 4th trip, the La Ceiba plane was gone and the dive shop made us take a refresher course because it had been too long. It's a horrible place and I think every day about my 5th trip.

Um no sorry, still a huge Coz cheerleader, no place is perfect and you kind of half to nit pick to not have a good time there for what you pay to go.

Only really uncool thing was a couple years ago trying to cash a couple hundreds (as in x2- $100 bills) into pesos at one of the banks. It took 30 minutes, with my wife and I being put in separate rooms and grilled about who we were and why we wanted to get pesos, fingerprinted, ect.

Hitting the Island 2 months post Wilma should have been a not to good trip to Coz, but have to say it was actually very impressive and quite inspiring to see how the locals responded to get things back up and running.

Coz will always be one of my favorite places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom