Working in Dahab/Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi There

I wonder if anybody here as any information/good tips about working in Dahab or Sharm. I am a MSDT and am thinking about going there for at least the next 12 months.

Any info. on Visas, Working conditions, pay and apartment/house shares would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi there, when are you coming out or at least thinking of coming. All very quiet at the mo in Dahab, should pick up in a few weeks again. Dahab is cheap, cheap accom and eating out. An appartment is around 120 GBP PCM, although i lived in a camp for 3 months!!!!Always people wanting to share house. Visas no prob just have a full egyption one before u come out it saves the hassle of going to El Tur to sort out crap. I generally freelance, when i can! Sharm has more work i think but dunno anyway hope this helps, i was only supposed to be here 5 weeks......6 months later!

Thanks for that Mermaid28. I am coming out in about a weeks time, for a week. Only £99, Flts and accomm.! Just want to check the place out first. Would be looking at Sharm and Dahab, also for a business idea. But think will go permanantly in Early Jan when I guess that it will be busier. Can you get a lot of work freelancing, Like you can in Thailand? and is it difficult to get permanat work.

hey there, where are u diving .....who with? Free lance not to bad i try and get in with 1 or 2 dcs so they use me and abuse me. i like it here!! Hot this week water chilly tho! 23 c

Heading out to Sharm on the 14th Jan for much the same reason although I'm still a DM, IDC booked for feb tho'
Hope it all goes well for you. :10:

I am looking at doing my DM in Egypt, mostly avoiding the airfare from Germany.
At under $400 R/T on Alitalia, only the time may be an issue for me.

How are things working out for Mark.

Wondering how phrixus felt about Sharm. How long was the boat commute ?
Had been looking at Roatan as some friends trained there.
There is some appeal for me for a shore dive options sometimes, as I had commuted on boats for normal work and loath killing endless hours underway.

Of ths sites in Egypt and Sudan, which can also offer recreation outside of diving, something Roatan doesn't have. Thailand was good for nightlife and low living expense.

Also have a DM option in California or Hawaii, but living expenses can be very high.

I'm going out to visit my brother in Cairo--he's promised that he's going to abandon me in Sinai and force me to find a job :D I only speak English and some French, and I have not gotten my DM yet. A guy with a lot of information about Egypt said to get the cert there--it will be cheaper. Is it likely that I can find a diving job there?
Also, will my rig be compatible with their tanks?? Someone mentioned that they use somthing that isn't a K-valve. Any and all help would be appreciated. You'd be emancipating me from my excel spreadsheets and cubicle.

beansed, not sure I understand all your questions, especially the bit about airfares, but maybe I missed something in another post. Anyway, for shore diving and low living expenses, as well as some nightlife, go to Dahab rather than Sharm or the places further south.

divermatt, in any decent dive op in Egypt will have both DIN and INT tanks.
Sinai amd Dahab in particular is a good place to do a DM, but it may be difficult to find work out there simply because there are too many DMs around.

Here in Egypt, we have both valves with the DIN more popular in Hurghada and INT more popular in Sharm. You will be able to find both types everywhere but I am talking the standard on daily and liveaboards.
For the Cities, Sharm is becoming more a tourists destination and therefore more expensive but there is more than 40 dive centers in there. Dahab is smaller with nearly 10-15 diving centers and even better diving (all from shore). It is a lot less expensive than Sharm.
Usually, the diving season starts in March so it will be a good idea to start your courses and be ready with things start moving to hunt for a job.

Hey,
Just got back from Dahab - holiday. Great laid back place to stay, very nice people!
And I am moving there in the beginning of March.
1st do the DMT, than the IDC, and work.
Nothing planned yet, so all options still possible
Carpe diem to the fullest! ;-)
But will give me the best rewards, I am sure of!
So get in touch!!

ciao ciao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom