Working and divemaster intership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard,

I've found a internship that would take about 6 months to complete in the Florida Keys, it isn't paid (boo) but it takes care of my housing... so it's just meals i have to deal with. If i can become an instructor from this, is it a good deal? I wanted to go to Hawaii, because it seems to be a better suit for me. But i am having a difficult time getting info that doesn't cost a lot and take 2 weeks...
i want it to take 6 months... i want to build skills with the company, management and so on... i'm beginning to think that's too much to ask...

uminchu:
Wildcard,

I've found a internship that would take about 6 months to complete in the Florida Keys, it isn't paid (boo) but it takes care of my housing... so it's just meals i have to deal with. If i can become an instructor from this, is it a good deal? I wanted to go to Hawaii, because it seems to be a better suit for me. But i am having a difficult time getting info that doesn't cost a lot and take 2 weeks...
i want it to take 6 months... i want to build skills with the company, management and so on... i'm beginning to think that's too much to ask...
Is this your DM that you're talking about?

Maui Dreams Dive Co. does a DM in 2-3 weeks, and is $450 (both are assuming you already have Rescue Diver and current CPR certs.)

See http://mauidreamsdiveco.com/dive/instruction/divemaster/index.php

They also offer instructor courses that are approximately 10 days long, but you need your DM before starting them.

Try Breeze as well, they are my favorite Japanese - catering operator.

Actually, Japanese is in demand on all the boats. You might try Diamond Head Divers too. The owner is Mike Bishop.

I see no reason to spend 6 months working for free. FInd a shop that teaches a lot and pay your bucks. You can be done in a couple of weeks. If you feel your skills need more work then play AI for a few classes. 6 months? Not a good deal at all.

WC, the Florida shop gives him rent which is more than any shop here. DM's don't get paid here routinely..... Rent here would be at least 1000/ dollars a month. I think the Florida deal sounds better than what you would find here.

Here I see DM's working for their tution....that's it. Instructors barely get paid minimum wage unless you are a captain or have an incentive plan on class instruction. Am I wrong?

Or are you saying he should pay for the class then get a wage?...could be a better deal. I think Breeze is successful because they do Visas for Japanese seeking employment here...I could be wrong.

Wow, Wildcard and catherine,
You guys are making me feel real welcome. I guess i should admit a few things... i'm an AOW or will be soon... but i've been given some pretty good compliments from instructors and friends i respect. I'd like to try and work my way up. I'll take a look at a couple of the operations in Hawaii...
The Visa thing is of not a concern... Just getting to were i want to be, not starving, and learning a lot. It doesn't NEED to take 6 months... i just figured it would... i would be happy to do it in a shorter time, but i'm trying to be realistic.

I sent off a couple emails to different companies... but i haven't gotten any replies. Even from the paying ones. I guess they've got to think about it right? I just wrote a semi-intro of me... should i be sending a fully fledged resume???

I was thinking that Florida would be easier, but for personal reasons Hawaii is more convenient. It's a tough call.

I think both would be a great learning environment!

Even when you do become a DM, from what I've seen, DM's still do not get paid....typically I have seen OSWI and above that play the role of a DM while on board a charter.

One example is Ocean Concepts on Oahu (great operation!), the acting DM's on board the boats (Mel and the others) are OWSI or MSDT.

Where I think you can benefit is from your language skills, a shop may hire for that reason.

Hope this makes sense...I'm an instructor by the way

Mark,
Thanks for the advice. I suppose at this point i'm planning to go all the way up. It's just more a concern about being able to pay for that trianing. As i'm only a AOW, it might take a little while. I don't have enough dives to take a short course.

I'm pushing my language skills, but i'm not getting any bites. How would you approach a company?

Lachlan

You will need to do your EFR and Rescue certification first before starting your DM training. The only way I would think that a shop would pay for this was if you are actually working for them in the retail shop for instance. The current store manager of my shop, started working as a high school student 10 years ago, now runs the place.

Looking at the PADI job board, for hawaii I pretty much found employment offers that indicated that regardless of the postion, boat person, captain, DM for charter and shore dives, etc....the all required that you be an instructor as well.

Back
Top Bottom