Women divers with backplates a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pink_fins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted this on another board but maybe I should have posted it on a womans forum

I like the rest of you have hips (LOL) and they curve out by the butt.
I have lower back problems around around that area.

I have a Ranger and love it but am considering a backplate/wings combo.I also have the lumbar pad.

How does the backplate rest on the butt? If properly fitted, is it higher and doesn't touch the butt. Under water you are horizontial so that would not be a problem.

Some of the men may laugh at the question. But before I invest I want some womens opinions.
tia

gail

Regretably, I cannot offer you a woman's opinion. Many here, however, can and should be responding soon!

The short answer to your question is that the backplate does not rest on your butt. If you reach back between your own shoulder blades, your fingertips should just be able to touch the top edge of your plate. The bottom edge of your plate will thus be above your pelvis.

With one single nylon strap, the fit of the backplate to your unique physique is about the closest fit you will find. "Custom", in every sense of the word. If your physique is shorter than that of the average female, it is possible to purchase shorter backplates as well. Ask Tobin regarding their availability, if you think you may fall into this category.

One option you may wish to consider. (My wife also has lower back problems, and) heavy weightbelts put strain on your lower back. You're located in Northern Wisconsin, so likely use drysuits for cold water? Regardless, a 'heavy-plate' - a 1/4" plate or a plate with bolt-ons - puts more weight directly against your spine, and removes it from your hips. You may find this useful if you suffer lower back stress when diving.

Regards,

Doc

Here is one of Tobin's plates:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=2

Here are the bolt-on weights. They bolt to the backplate:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=103

I am short (5'4") and have hips and a butt as well. I use a DSS medium plate. It rests higher than my curves and is not at all uncomfortable for me. While on land the weight is supported by the shoulders and doesn't rest on my hips or rear end. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Lilla

Plate should not rest on butt. I recently talked my wife into using my last year's wing and plate - she liked this so much that she gave away her brand new LadyHawk to her neice the next day.

As everybody else has stated, the bottom of the plate isn't resting on your buttocks. If you're short enough that it is, you can use the smaller plate. I think you'll be amazed at how comfortable a plate and properly adjusted harness actually is. It leaves the front of you so much less encumbered!

Backplate will not rest on your butt when properly fitted. Personally, I like how the the BP puts all the weight for me on my upper back and I'm not restricted in the front. I've only used Halcyon wing BP, but I know there are others worthy of a look too. The weight pouch or pouches rest just at the upper sides of the waist where they can remain in your body's natural slipstream through the water.

I've used a DIVA jacket style BCD and it was wonderful. It just didn't fit quite right when I switched from cold water to warm water diving. I wanted something more adjustable. The backplate and wing is adjustable. This feature is necessary to fit the crotch strap for the difference between a drysuit and a warm water skin.

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 1,459
If you like pink fins, then maybe a pink backplate might be worthy of a look. I had my Halcyon BP and hardware powder coated at a machine shop. It was then glazed in a marine acrylic finish. The buckle has chipped a bit - especially after being dragged through mud - but it has held the color nicely. I was at Extreme Exposure last winter and it garnered quite a bit of attention. So much for the all-black stealth look.... I want my buddy to see me.

Attachments

• SB Pink BCD.jpg
    SB Pink BCD.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 638
way cool, alaska! (and i know someone in eagle river...visited there briefly a few years ago)

i'm 5'7", and mine doesn't touch. but i just wanted to point out a couple more things to you, so if you try one or get one, you won't be stumped if either of these are true for you, too.

i'm chunky, with pretty big hips & small waist. i didn't like my 'waist' belt to really be around my waist, but lower, closer to my hip bones. so i kept the 'waist' strap loose and tightened up the crotch strap so the 'waist' part hits me where i want. yeah, i have a low-rider harness...

and second, my shoulders are narrower than an average guy's, so the straps hit me on the upper arms and gave me ouchy welts, so i crossed the straps behind my head. that brings them over my clavicles instead of my upper arms. try either, but don't trim your harness until you're *sure*, because crossing takes up most of the available webbing.

give it a try! and let us know what you end up thinking.

Last edited:
If you like pink fins, then maybe a pink backplate might be worthy of a look. I had my Halcyon BP and hardware powder coated at a machine shop. It was then glazed in a marine acrylic finish. The buckle has chipped a bit - especially after being dragged through mud - but it has held the color nicely. I was at Extreme Exposure last winter and it garnered quite a bit of attention. So much for the all-black stealth look.... I want my buddy to see me.

Speaking of visability underwater, I got a hot pink DSS wing. Now that baby is visable! It is fading a bit now, but didn't lose much color at depth, even.

Yes, the crossed straps are a godsend for those of us with really narrow shoulders!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom