Women divers with backplates a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a bit of a swayback and a "bubble butt" it might touch your butt, I took a class this weekend and had some help fitting mine. The guy's plates were above their butt while mine touched my butt, I didn't feel any weight on it though. The outward curve of the top of my butt is accentuated by the sway in my lower back so my butt just brushes the bottom of the plate.
Ber :lilbunny:

As everyone else has mentioned the plate shouldn't touch your butt - I find that having the lower edges of the plate bend out (like on a Halcyon bp) helps keep the plate from digging in while standing/walking with your rig.

Jackie

I have had many backplates and have loved them all. They fit differently, but the best feature i think are how cutomizable they are. You have so many more options on where you can put your weights to help alieviate pressure on your back. I have used bc and backplates and like the backplates so much more for the size and different options for wetsuits and drysuits. I reccomend you find a dive shop that would fit you with a backplate, wing and a tank so you can feel it out before you go and invest in one. If you don't have a good shop by you I also highly reccomend tobin, he knows backplates and a lot more on dive gear.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm 5'4 - no butt or hips to speak of, however .....

I went to Underwater Explorers to buy my Halcyon rig and they showed me a small back plate for us smaller ladies

they also showed me how the standard ali plate contours out so it will not touch your hips

get someone at your LDS to fit your plate correctly, make sure you have it positioned high enough, maybe a small adjustment of the harness will sort it

I have the woman seaquest libra and scuba pro Ladyhawk...both are back inflation...I also have a double cervical fusion and a lower back disc buldge....when I got the libra it was the first women's bc I had bought..fitted proper there is no pressure on the lower back area...I was also able to unload half or more of the weight from my belt to my BC...the difference in balance and comfort of these BC's is unbelievable...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom