Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know why some are talking about made up social constructs such as gender (of which there are around 30 with new ones being made up as I’m typing this) when biological constructs are being discussed here i.e sex, which is either male or female, and the differences between the sexes.

It's where we get the words. Sex, sex equality, unisex, sexual intercourse, war between the sexes, same sex, sexist, heterosexuality etc from. The clue is in the name.

Just an observation made among all the drama and "offense" being taken among some women, whom for some bizarre reason, feel they have to copy male behavior, or impose male standards onto female standards. It's all a bit, shall we say, messed up.

With that out of the way..

I have a habit of helping my girlfriend carry her gear, she is small and petite, I'm 89 kilos and 198 cm tall and I can handle myself. She is happy that I do this for her, and she doesn't call me sexist, or a pig, or throw it in my face when I act in a manly chivalrous way either.

In other words. She lets me be the man. I let her be the woman, and as a result of that attraction is created as well as maintained, and what she lacks in physical strength she makes up for with strength in other areas.

This post may be too much for some, but that's ok.

I’m 63 and never mind a hand but overall it’s never been an issue. My daughter was a working DM and lugged around her own gear as well as that of guests. I think being short is a bigger issue for me.

11713849_1106556749373590_7330570540270506984_o.jpg

How I view women and heavy scuba tanks:

"Fetch my tank girl, yo daddy is old and whupped out".

I don’t know why some are talking about made up social constructs such as gender (of which there are around 30 with new ones being made up as I’m typing this) when biological constructs are being discussed here i.e sex, which is either male or female,

Sorry for the hijack but.. this is simply not true. Gender is not a "made up social construct"

For example, in humans, males are usually XY and females are usually XX. There are a number of chromosomal abnormalities, however, such as Kleinfelter's syndrome where individuals are XXY. So it shouldn't be any surprise that many people don't identify with their external appearance (which can also be a mix). This is where the issue of gender identity comes in. How people identify with their own sex is actually much more complicated than we'd like to make it out to be. Just because you happen to be squarely XY or XX doesn't mean that everyone is.

Sorry for the hijack but.. this is simply not true. Gender is not a "made up social construct".

Gender is a made up social construct as evident of new ones being invented all the time.

Your sex identity will be married (not divorced) to your sex. i.e male or female. Sex is a biological construct. Gender is a social construct.

Now, if you wanna dispute science and biology on the basis of a a few bugs in the system (including made up ones, of which there are around 30) that is of course entirely up to you.

You appear to confuse someone say of the female sex who identify as a man, but that is not gender, that is a female who identify as the male sex, stuck in a female body. Get it? In this case there is a glitch in which her FEMALE sex is NOT married to her sexual identity, which, lo and behold, happens to be female.

Which brings me back to your sex identity being married (not divorced) to your sex, i.e male or female.

There are people who do not want to accept what they are, yet demand that others accept what they are not. I could say "well I identify as a 60 year old man" but you are a 29 year old man! "So what, it's what I identity as" besides, age is a social construct not a biological construct, so therefore I can change things as I like etc etc.

It's absurd of course, but that's where we are today. People make things up as if they were real, then demand others accept it.

Your sex identity will be married (not divorced) to your sex. i.e male or female. Sex is a biological construct. Gender is a social construct.

Now, if you wanna dispute science and biology on the basis of a a few bugs in the system (including made up ones, of which there are around 30) that is of course entirely up to you.

This is likely not the forum for it, but I would be happy to discuss the basis of sex and gender. I agree that gender is a social construct. If by "made up," however, you mean lacking a basis in reality, you are wrong. New ones being invented does not mean they lack a basis in reality. It simply means we are coming to better understandings of gender identity. You also fundamentally don't understand what sex means. As a professional biologist I've spent my entire life working on understanding these these things. For starters, feel free to provide a biological definition of "male" and "female."

This is likely not the forum for it, but I would be happy to discuss the basis of sex and gender. I agree that gender is a social construct. If by "made up," however, you mean lacking a basis in reality, you are wrong. New ones being invented does not mean they lack a basis in reality. It simply means we are coming to better understandings of gender identity. You also fundamentally don't understand what sex means. As a professional biologist I've spent my entire life working on understanding these these things. For starters, feel free to provide a biological definition of "male" and "female."

Judging by your posts you are clearly confused as evident of you first disagreeing than agreeing, which demonstrates that you do not fully understand what it is you are either agreeing or disagreeing with, let alone the terms used.
This often happens when someone has spent to much time in school, they not only get confused, but also lose their ability to reason correctly.

Not confused at all. Gender is indeed a social construct. It is not "a made up" construct, however, in the sense of having no basis in reality.

Again, can you pleas define "sex" for me?

I think his pride really gets in the way. I feel so bad for him since he has always been the heavy lifter. Getting old sucks...:(

Maybe some pride, but might also be "habit." I have to keep reminding myself these days not to do the same kind of lifting I used to! You're right about the getting old thing though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom