Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't notice it so much vacation boat diving but local diving on shore/beaches has given me a good workout. Schlepping tanks and gear to and from storage and up stairs or to the car (apartment living) then from car to beach then back again to dive shop then home, etc....my arms, core, back, legs, everything is a workout. Long surface swims....

I let Mr OOO help out whenever he can (I love chivalry and have no problem playing damsel in distress, haha) but I'm also a DM candidate so gear schlepping for self, instructor, and students is a big part of my gig on the weekends.

I did purchase a collapsible wagon which has helped immensely (and is awesome for Costco and grocery runs when I unload the car). It has received the eye of envy from many and our group has quite a few wagons now. :) it makes it slightly easier.

I guess I don't quite understand the question? My sex doesn't impede me in any way from lifting the same amount of equipment and dive weight as a man. In fact, I carried my gear, and helped my dive buddy and our male instructor carry their gear on my last trip. So I guess, I view scuba as a woman like this :) :

I have no issue at all with the question. I weigh between 45 and 47kg and I'm 51 so yes, everything is heavy for me personally.

One of the major reasons I hate shore diving unless I'm with a few people or even just one. Sure I'm just fine with someone saying, do you want me to carry your tank, but I'm also fine with doing it myself. I just look it as a cost benefit thing...is the time I spend carrying tank and gear out to car, driving down and gearing up before climbing a sand dune in 40c worth the buzz I get from diving? Mostly no not here lol but sometimes the need to be in any ocean even if the only thing I see is a crab over rides all the negatives. I just swear a lot lugging it back to the car.

I'm a fan of LOBs for this reason amongst many others

I have a collapsible wagon, as well. Others have gotten them after seeing mine.

With two bum knees, as well as sciatica in one hip, I not only don't want to have to deal with walking a long ways geared up, but I also don't want to have to haul my gear a long distance. I'll make sure I'm in line at the quarry when they open so I get a good parking spot. If anyone offers to haul my tanks, I don't hesitate to take them up on the offer. I can otherwise handle my gear. I'm 48 and the young(er) film sometimes offer when they see me limping around at the end of a diving day.

Dealing with the heavy gear has gotten easier as I've gotten more in shape (I do a mile of laps in the pool 2-3 times a week).

I suppose there will come a time when I can't slump my own gear. I guess that is when I will seriously consider if I should be diving. I guess I am a bit too proud to ask for help. I figure the workout I get hauling my gear is good for me. I may be 67 and arthritic but the weightlessness of diving is worth the effort. I also swear that when my back is bad a good stretch underwater eases it a lot!

I primarily do shore dives that involve long walks, stairs and climbing over rock ledges. I save the money for boat dives when I am on a dive trip. On the boat I prefer to manage my own gear so I know exactly what to expect.

women carry heavy stuff; kids, furnture, overloaded laundry baskets up two flights. A better question is how do men manage to carry heavy stuff after sitting at a desk job all week long. But as we all get older we all feel it gets a bit heavier.

My diving at 72 with a bad shoulder and mild arthritis is mainly easy shore diving or boat diving. I am a regular on the boats I usually use and know and tip the crew on the way back to shore. The women I see have no trouble getting the stuff back on shore and to the parking lot. This includes some very petite women. I can do it too. However, I always take my HP100s from the boat to the parking lot on my last trip for gear. 90% of the time they are in the lot by the time I go back to get them from the boat. :)

Heck, I recently saw a young lady that had to be around around 5' tall and ~135# lug a set of double steel 104s down and back up the stairs at Little River Springs! I have to take two breaks for that same walk.

Any guy who does not recognize that women can be tougher than men in many ways is in denial.

Physical differences, sure.. but don't think for a second that many women can't hold their own in the Diving community. I will still try to hold a door, and look out for opportunities to help lug a tank. But it's out of courtesy and respect. Not from any illusion of superiority.

i dove double worthington 95s for a while. they are *heavy*. it's more having to do things differently than guys - once they were on the ground, i'd have to hug and jerk them to get them up to tailgate level, so i tried not to let them get that far down by putting them on a picnic table, etc. i couldn't lift them reasonably by just picking them up with my arms. yay, sidemount!

but for me the bigger problem is hand strength/size. i have a hard time getting the head of my rebreather on and off, because i have a problem palming it. @DA Aquamaster can do it easily, and i've dropped it and broken it before trying, so guess what? he's my breather tech. same with the steel 45s we tried to use for deco bottles - i could lift it, or i could manipulate the bolt snap, but i couldn't do both at the same time. so for a while i took my chest d-ring to the bottle instead of lifting it, and then we went to smaller bottles. try doing things, but if something just isn't working, try a different direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom