Winter Diving on Lake Michigan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who plans on getting wet this winter on Lake Michigan? I know myself and a few others are planning on getting out a couple of times at least. :D Anybody else not mind the cold?

Ah, Winter, the season when visibility can reach make the Caribbean look like a mudhole and when putting on a drysuit isn't a last minute sweat-soaked grudge match. The topside maybe unpredictable for the next few months but the bottom never changes...

Now that I am diving a drysuit I am planning on getting my Ice Diving cert with DRIS. Didin't think about Lake Michigan. Where do you find a boat to get out?

Greg

I'd be interested in coming up for a winter dip in Lake Michigan. That is of course assuming that I65 between Indianapolis and Chicago is passable!

Count me in...new thick Undies for my drysuit will hopefully keep me warm....

Divers Delight out of Milwaukee will go out if you have enough people. I dive with 2-3 other guys that will dive. I believe DD requires 5 to go out and they can fit up to 14.

Divers Delight out of Milwaukee will go out if you have enough people. I dive with 2-3 other guys that will dive. I believe DD requires 5 to go out and they can fit up to 14.

I think it's six or a minimum payment gets you the whole boat. It's been awhile and I'm sure it has changed. I've done a few new Years day dives with Ralph. DRY GLOVES, thick under garments as you will be exposed to the weather.
Jerry Guyer, The Lender out of Milwaukee also does winter stuff. Slower boat, but you can hide inside. LOL.
I like winter diving. I go until theres snow and ice on the shore line. After that it's time to winterize the boat and go ice diving for a couple of months. Don't forget the Lake Wazee ice diving social in February. Theres also and event in Sturgeon Bay late Feb, early March.

Jim

I definitely plan on doing some ice diving this winter also. I've been down to 37 degrees with just under armor and 4th element artics and I was alright. I'm either going to add a DUI 100 gram stretchliner or the 4th element ozone top.

I definitely plan on doing some ice diving this winter also. I've been down to 37 degrees with just under armor and 4th element artics and I was alright. I'm either going to add a DUI 100 gram stretchliner or the 4th element ozone top.

Hey Nick, don't forget the New Year's Day dive off of the Adler Planetarium. Viz will be about 6", but a good way to say hello to the new year. Plus, you never know what you will find there!

Back
Top Bottom