Wing. OMS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wearing tanks on the right side gets in the way of the longhose

I disagree, depending on the size of the stage

If you're using a 6 litre, the long hose tucks neatly under the bottle below a right hip d-ring, similar to how it would with a can light

Obviously lean/rich doesn't work if you're using more than two stages, back-mounted stages etc but if you're using 2 and are happy to sling on the right then IMO it works fine. Main thing is, whatever system you use, to be consistent

Right hip d ring isn't hogarthian, and as soon as you clip off that bottle, there is a good chance of trapping that hose.

And it it worked fine, people wouldn't die from switching to the wrong bottle. If you want to be constant, use a system that actually works in a wide range of environments.

Thats right, Troutmaster. Now if you squeeze the lift bag (like a bungee would) the gas will be displaced. Since the OMS bungees apply pressure to the entire wing, no matter where the puncture or failure is, gas will escape, and body position will not stop this from happening.

That is how I had it in my mind, glad I was thinking right.

Right hip d ring isn't hogarthian, and as soon as you clip off that bottle, there is a good chance of trapping that hose

You're right we are in the Hog forum, my mistake - but we're talking bungeed wings, so... think we already missed that boat

I'd appreciate if you would explain the clipping/trapping thing for me, thanks (serious question)

And if (sic) it worked fine, people wouldn't die from switching to the wrong bottle

I'd like to hear the details of this too

Sure, no prob.

The long hose goes behind the right shoulder, down under the can light, back up infront of the left shoulder, then around the neck and into the mouth. A bottle on the right side can be clipped so that that longhose is forward of the clip. When this happens, the longhose cannot be fully deployed without unclipping the bottle. Since getting a diver gas in an expedient manner is of the highest priority (and exiting the environment, be it OW or cave), anything that hinders that is sup-optimal, and therefor shouldn't be done.

The lean left/rich right thing presents another set of problems (in addition to trapping the longhose). A system such as that fosters reliance on a particular bottle being on a particular side of the body. Assume for a second that the mate on the boat hands you the wrong bottle first, and you clip it to the wrong side. Switching to the wrong bottle at depth is almost certainly fatal.

Also, this system breaks down when adding a 3rd deco gas, stage diving, and requires a shorter hose reg or it creates a very large loop that can snag on things.

By placing all the bottles on the left, the diver is forced to check the MOD of the bottle (in big numbers on both sides) and cannot rely on a left/right placement to identify the bottle. This is an added safety feature of the system that helps to ensure the diver switches to the correct gas at the correct depth.

Plus, they have poor hydrodynamic qualities (this is why boats and submarines don't have a bunch of ripples in their hulls),

I have pictures of me in a membrane drysuit - it's not what I would call streamlined. The extra drag of a bungeed 30lb wing is going to be negligible.

I don't use a bungeed wing btw, just playing Devil's Advocate :)

Yeah, and they can trap gas, catch on things, or in the event of a wing failure squeeze all the gas out.

Pretty solid design I would say. [Sarcasm]

They are handy for indentification purposes. The only other thing that works better is a Spare Air.

I have pictures of me in a membrane drysuit - it's not what I would call streamlined. The extra drag of a bungeed 30lb wing is going to be negligible.

I don't use a bungeed wing btw, just playing Devil's Advocate :)

Get a suit that fits :wink:

All the little things add up, and there is no sense in adding more drag. Scuba is already bulky enough.

Sure, no prob

Thanks

A bottle on the right side can be clipped so that that longhose is forward of the clip. When this happens, the longhose cannot be fully deployed without unclipping the bottle

Okay, so your point is that when unclipping and reclipping stages, you may accidentally clip it over the hose. Got it

Assume for a second that the mate on the boat hands you the wrong bottle first, and you clip it to the wrong side. Switching to the wrong bottle at depth is almost certainly fatal

Don't know about "certainly" but yeah it's not a good idea. But you should be checking which bottle you are clipping where, not relying on someone to hand you the right one

By placing all the bottles on the left, the diver is forced to check the MOD of the bottle (in big numbers on both sides) and cannot rely on a left/right placement to identify the bottle. This is an added safety feature of the system that helps to ensure the diver switches to the correct gas at the correct depth.

You can do that no matter where you sling 'em. Yes I know that I go the left for the first switch, but I check the bottle marking just the same (see above point) plus my buddy will check my switch as well

Don't get technical just yet.

I still want to hear how no one would ever carry tanks on the right.

I am also waiting to hear from these people how a couple of rubber bands will defy physics and push air from a bladder that is already under a great deal of water pressure.

They know so much. Let’s hear it….

Wow, hopefully your doctorate wasn't in physics. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom