Wilma... wonderful, just wonderful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esteban:
This was our first Florida springs/RR/Blue Grotto experience. We will defintely be back for more!
I'm glad to hear it went well, and that you didn't run into problems. It was good that you looked at risks in advance. So many make trip plans, arrive before a storm hits, and then go "oh ****!"

I see it's been some time since anyone in southern Florida has posted here. I guess power and net connections are both very challenged across the area. Hoping to see good news soon.

Looks like Cozumel and Cancun were devastated. Lots of tourists stranded at both (see above reference to those who arrive before storms), and won't be able to leave as the airports are too damaged for flights. I saw one news report that suggested transporting to Merida airport further inland would be needed. I have no idea how big or developed that airport is. It could be rough to escape Cozumel or Cancun, endure a rough trip on damaged roads to there, only to learn that facilities are being overwhelmed.

Best wishes to all down there for getting out finally, and to those in and around Florida riding it out now.

Edit...
ReefGuy:
We just got our power back on. It was out for about 3 hours. We're still having 35-40mph sustained winds. Just gotta say that FPL rocks.
I guess we were posting at the same time...

Had to look to see where you were. Glad you came out well. :thumb:

11 am tracking map from NOAA...

Heard from my mother in Sarasota that they had strong winds and rain, but no real damage. Power did go out in some of the inland areas (and of course to the south of her), but she had power on uninterrupted so she was able to follow the progress of the storm.

I still don't understand how folks can live with this frequency of disturbance events, yet fear earthquakes. But I guess it is for the best... California is already inundated enough with new arrivals.

I heard from Walter this morning that our Marvel had her front door and window blow in today. The door was closed and locked. She is ok and with a neighbor. She will have extensive wind blown water damage.

I have been talking to my wife and daughter all morning, in Sebastian, and they were fine although power is out and some windows leaked a bit.

Has anyone heard anything about the Hotel Barraccuda? How did the dive boats make out? Guapo

Just got back from up the coast and I'm happy to see my boat survived. A liveaboard dive boat across the way broke lose and swung around, ended up using a sailboat for a fender.

The apartments across the canal lost their roofing, the ceiling fell down and you can see sky. I don't have power but that's pretty usual after a storm. A couple poles were at 45 degree angles on the way into the neighborhood and lots of trees were down.

I came down 95 and there were quite a few downed signs and light poles. One light pole was across an exit ramp, there was a downed power line on 95 that everyone was stopping for and then figuring the guy in front didn't get it so why not drive on through. I left Palm Bay around noon and headeds south, some heavy wind gusts, not much rain and no traffic.

Well... We survived... No damage to our store or our apartment. No power or water at home, but power was restored to our shop in riverfront - but there's no water here, so the restaurants can't open yet, and we are without Air Cond inside. I think we're going to open up, so if any conchers read this and want to charge cell phones or anything like that come on down.

I haven't heard from too many people yet... but here in downtown ft lauderdale it's like a bomb went off. Here's some video I shot yesterday from our balcony - http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-1024schoolboardwilma-video,0,4469459.wmvfile
I'm glad the sentinel edited my comments out of the video... I said a few naughty words while witnessing this.

I hope everyone else is ok.

Fantastic video...
Glad to hear everything is ok.
K

And now we're getting the bad-afterwards stories from Cancun...

I just do not understand the minds of these people, like from this tourist: "I feel the Mexican government is helping here to an extent, doing the best they can," said Kevin Riley, town finance administrator for Paw, Mich. "But the U.S. has done nothing. Where is our government? They are only preparing for Florida. They forgot about us." That just sounds unreasonable to me? Am I wrong? He had advance noticed - it's hurrican season, and oh btw - there's a bad one aiming for Cancun. But he went down anway - knowing the chances, taking advantage of low season rates. Now he expects rescue. My understanding is WHEN YOU LEAVE THE US, YOU LEAVE THE US. There are a half million residents there without electricity and he wants limo service...?

Haven't see anything on Cozumel yet. I know that there is a lot of posting on the Coz forum, but haven't waded thru all the chit chat about "is my vacation okay" posts.

Residents, Tourists Frustrated in Cancun
Mexican Resort Battered by Storm
By WILL WEISSERT, AP

CANCUN, Mexico (Oct. 25) - Hurricane Wilma is long gone, but those it left stranded on Mexico's Caribbean coast are tired, fed up and ready to go home after spending the better part of a week in foul-smelling shelters.

President Vicente Fox said getting the tourists home - and then getting them back again by the start of tourism's high season in December - was one of Mexico's highest national priorities, given that Cancun attracts so many tourist dollars.

On Monday, buses began ferrying hundreds of tourists out of Cancun to Merida, about 170 miles to the west, where they may be able to wrangle homebound flights.

About 1,200 Americans and a busload of Britons were among the first evacuated by bus. Officials said they hoped to open the Cancun airport by Tuesday. Still, almost 30,000 tourist remained stranded along the resort-studded coast.

"They should bring down transports. The conditions are getting worse, and people are going to start getting sick," said Tom Dinonno, 48, of Levittown, N.Y., as his wife Karen struggled to make a credit-card call from a Cancun pay phone.

When the call finally went through after 20 minutes, they got their son's answering machine - and silent tears started to stream down Karen's cheeks.

Desperation like that echoed across the flooded, looted Cancun. A curfew was declared on Monday night, and police cars drove through the city, their lights flashing, barking orders over their loudspeakers for people to return to their homes.

"People are desperate. They are nervous," Fox said.

He said the country's first priority was to get enough food and water to the coast, and he dispatched Mexican military ships, planes and trucks to bring supplies. He said the second priority was to get tourists home.

"I feel the Mexican government is helping here to an extent, doing the best they can," said Kevin Riley, town finance administrator for Paw, Mich. "But the U.S. has done nothing. Where is our government? They are only preparing for Florida. They forgot about us."

Soldiers and federal police took to Cancun's streets Monday after looters emptied entire blocks of stores, taking television sets, clothes, beer and even pizza delivery motorcycles. Police said about 200 people had been arrested.

The fact that the skies finally cleared in Cancun only made the waiting more unbearable.

"The hurricane was ugly. The people were worse."
-Arturo Campos, owner of looted store in Cancun

"It's like, the sun's out, let's go, and we're still here," said Lynn Wickum, of San Francisco, Calif., as she drank a beer at one of the few Cancun bars that finally opened. "We feel the frustration building. You wouldn't want to make a scene, but at the same time, you're ready to go home."

Many of Cancun's own 500,000 residents had lost nearly everything in flooded or destroyed homes.

For two days, Hurricane Wilma turned Cancun's string of luxury hotels into an expensive breakwater, leaving their lobbies heaped with shattered metal, marble and glass, their gardens a swath of muck.

The booming string of Caribbean hotels anchored by Cancun produce almost half of Mexico's $11 billion in yearly foreign tourism revenue, and they constitute a significant element in Mexico's balance of trade.

"It is going to take us a couple of months to have 80, 90 percent of the tourism capacity of Cancun working," Fox said in a televised interview as he stood before cars sloshing through still-flooded streets.

"We're approaching the full tourist season. So speed is fundamental," he added.

Full recovery could take until Easter week, according to Ana Patricia Morales, vice president of the Cancun Hotels Association.

Only six people were known to have been killed by Wilma in Mexico, Fox said, adding to the 13 who died earlier in Jamaica and Haiti. At least six people died in Florida, bringing storm's overall toll to 25.

10-25-05 05:26 EDT

Back
Top Bottom