Will these booties work in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mickey- I solved this exact problem with a Mares bootie, one with a neoprene upper and a fairly flat, non-molded rubbery sole, not too thick. A ladies size 7 fits perfectly in my medium Jetfin with my spring straps. I have done probably a hundred shore dives on Bonaire with these booties, no foot injuries. I bought them about three years ago. The sole looks like it may be a bit more sturdy that your Akona.

Before the Mares, I tried several other booties- one was a Henderson with a white molded sole- They ended up being too tight in the pocket, and positively buoyant as well- rejected.

Now if only I could solve the drysuit/Jetfin problem- My drysuit boots won't fit into a Jetfin (except an XL, which is taller than I am), and I don't really like any other fins.

Good luck- Nancy

Last edited:
Mickey- I solved this exact problem with a Mares bootie, one with a neoprene upper and a fairly flat, non-molded rubbery sole, not too thick. A ladies size 7 fits perfectly in my medium Jetfin with my spring straps. I have done probably a hundred shore dives on Bonaire with these booties, no foot injuries. I bought them about three years ago. The sole looks like it may be a bit more sturdy that your Akona.

Before the Mares, I tried several other booties- one was a Henderson with a white molded sole- They ended up being too tight in the pocket, and positively buoyant as well- rejected.

Now if only I could solve the drysuit/Jetfin problem- My drysuit boots won't fit into a Jetfin (except an XL, which is taller than I am), and I don't really like any other fins.

Good luck- Nancy

Are you talking about this one? Mares Classic 5mm Dive Boot: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

With a drysuit I've just used regular booties-a couple sizes larger and the Large jets. I will do anything not to give up my medium size jets but the large ones are the same size blade and only a little heavier. I would never dive with any other fin unless my gear was delayed by the airlines and I couldn't find a shop that rented jets :D

Not exactly the same- these have a little more molding action in the sole, and mine have no toe cap. I'll bet these are the "updated" version- you might want to try them on if you are near an LDS which carries Mares before investing, since they are a little different.

My old drysuit boots fit in a large Jetfin pocket- my new suit has bulkier boots- very depressing to dive without my beloved Jetfins.

OK, I'm going to buy the Henderson neoprene ones at my LDS. They are not as thick as the Seasoft ones but they do have a heavy sole. The Henderson one actually fits in the foot pocket of my jets properly. I will just buy another set of spring straps-larger ones. I'll just use these boots permanently. I've never liked the sock feel of the booties anyway.

That's what I did....get new booties (and fins) for Bonaire and simply decided to use the new configuration instead of the old way. After being "forced" to do it, I actually prefer the new boots/fins than the old ones, so sometimes things simply work out for the best. :wink:

My wife and I both have Akona booties like those and after two trips/30+ dives we have no complaints even on the rough chunks of coral at some of the southern dive sites. Surprised to see so many people recommending hard boots for Bonaire actually. You people need to get off your butts and build up some callouses on your feet! :D jk

I'm going with the Henderson's. Those will work. Changing fins is not an option I will consider given my style of diving. I need to be able to frog kick and back up kick and paddle fins are the only ones that will work.

OK, on to the next crisis :)

I dive those exact boots. Wore them for the last 3 visits to Bonaire and I found them to be fine. Yeah, you feel the sharp edges of the ironshore, but I received no cuts in the boots, no cuts or bruises to the bottom of my feet. And I averaged over 30 dives per week....and all shore dives.

I find the biggest issue isn't so much with the walking into the water but rather falling down while walking into the water. Thicker boots won't help you with that. Going very slowly will.

I dive those exact boots. Wore them for the last 3 visits to Bonaire and I found them to be fine. Yeah, you feel the sharp edges of the ironshore, but I received no cuts in the boots, no cuts or bruises to the bottom of my feet. And I averaged over 30 dives per week....and all shore dives.

I find the biggest issue isn't so much with the walking into the water but rather falling down while walking into the water. Thicker boots won't help you with that. Going very slowly will.

Which ones? We've mentioned several :D

Tennis shoe style booties tend to work better because of the iron shore or the rock formations at the shore dive entrances. One site is a giant stride with a ladder exit but that's the only one I can think of spent a week there in May.

Hope this helps

The 3.5 Akona's in your original posting. And while there are lot's of dive sites that "challenge" your feet, there are lots that don't. One of the worst is the Hilma Hooker. If you do any boat dives I would suggest you do the Hilma from a boat.

And a suggestion that works for me. Wear a pair of socks in your booties. Sand will get into your boots and will rub your tooties raw!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom