Why use Force Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a pair of Pro Force Fins with bungie straps sometime in the mid-2000s, I believe from Scuba.com. They were on sale for a very low price, I believe $70s or $80s and I could not pass them up due to the hype. I dived them many times and still do occasionally, just for fun, and to refresh my memory. They don't perform poorly, but, I don't share the enthusiasm of many posters and my fins of choice are my Dive Rite XTs. To each their own.

Freedivers use long slow kicks because they can travel the farthest with the least amount of Oxygen converted to CO2. They could care less what kind of kick the fin needs to be the most energy efficient.

Right, the point I was getting at is you can't gain long distance thrust with Long slow kicks in Force Fins.
the fins simply so not collaborate with that style and speciality of diving.

I am always open to trying something new or different. I think I will keep my eyes open on Craigslist or eBay and see if I can find a used pair.

Right, the point I was getting at is you can't gain long distance thrust with Long slow kicks in Force Fins.
the fins simply so not collaborate with that style and speciality of diving.

You are correct in stating that Bob has not designed a fin for free diving - he has focused on making fins primarily for Scuba. The many variations have often come as the result of requests from friends to modify an existing design for a specific purpose.

The one fin that might(?) work for free diving is one he designed as part of the OPS system (made for the Cousteau"s). This is the "long blade" fin - unfortunately there are only a couple of pairs of these, so there is no way to know how they would work for free diving.

Here is a picture of them. One of the unique features of the OPS system is you can twist the attachment to the foot pocket to modify the way the fins perform. Hopefully, these may be available for sale in 2015.

attachment.php

oldbear, Over the years, I have followed the sales leads that have formed the Force fin company. Mainly commercial or Military divers, and tek Divers, swimmers, float tube fisherman, Search and rescue teams, fire departments, special warfare, body surfers, since we make many different types of Force Fins...This Month on Net flicks you want to watch Sylvia Earle gracefully move around in her Force Fins. Mission Blue Film ~ on Netflix August 15! | Mission Blue
2003_campaign_tan_delta_fin.jpg

Last edited:
… Reading some of the mis- leading posts here amazes me after almost 40 years in business…

This thread is all about divers who are curious about Force Fins and looking for reasons to buy them. This is a great opportunity to correct misconceptions and turn us into customers.

This thread is all about divers who are curious about Force Fins and looking for reasons to buy them. This is a great opportunity to correct misconceptions and turn us into customers.

From what I've seen of Bob's postings over time, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to adopt such an approach.

DR. Lecter, Your post made me realize I have to be the "Old Bob" that I was went we first started, 1982. So I will change andeurope2-046.jpg be more helpful answering questions. I will break out and Thank you for pointing out a weakness. I really need to go diving, it's been way to long. May be I can join you in Hawaii. ?

I think Bob has a right to be a little frustrated. For 30+ years he has been listening to comments about "why should I pay so much for a set of fins" from people who have never tried them but still want to bash them. There is a loyal following who have tried them and when given a little time to adjust to them, have found that they are definitely "worth the price". Some folks purchase based on "value", others purchase based on "price, and still others purchase because someone tell them "this is the fin to use". I am a value buyer.

As I said above, there are different Force Fins for different diving conditions. If you routinely dive in stiff currents or need a fin for positioning yourself for photos or need a fin for slow, easy diving/snorkeling, or need a fin for fitness training - there is a model of Force Fin that will fill the bill. Also, all Force Fins are made of high grade polyurethane materials - and they are made in different grades/types to match the performance requirements of the particular fin - plus they are all hand made in the USA. All of this goes into the higher cost for Force Fins.

Are they worth the money - well, why do you pay $750 for a "high end" regulator when the tests in Scuba Diving magazine show that there is little difference in the performance between it and a $400 regulator (especially if you are not doing "extreme" dives)? And I will bet you will trade regs every 4-5 years. So why do you think is "silly" to spend the same for a pair of fins that will make your diving much more comfortable, probably result in more reduction in air usage than a high end reg and will last you a lifetime of diving?

By the way, I don't have any connection to Force Fins other than as a user. I admit, I am a gear junky - 3 double hose regs, 3 single hose regs, wet suites from skin to 7 mm, 4 masks, 4 BPWs, 3 UW cameras and 7 pairs of Force Fins. And if I could only take 2 items with me on a trip, I would take my prescription mask and a pair of Force Fins that I think would best match the diving conditions (all the rest I can rent and make do with).

Hope that helps.

Due to medical issues (weak calves), I switched from ScubaPro (Seawing) to Force Fins. No regrets.
In fact, I can honestly say I do love my Force Fins. They are easy to put on/off, easier to manoeuvre in a boat
and most importantly for me, far less stress on my calves when diving. :D I am not knowledgeable enough to speak of speed &
manoeuvrability in the water compared to other fins, but I have taken my Force Fins around the world confident they can do the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom