Why use a double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be the ball -----. It is like this, nah, nah, ne, ne, nah, long and slow!

SH folks pant, they will never be the ball! Long and slow, Zen out!

Now that I am going hippie again since I cannot get my hair cut due to Corona 19, could I rig a 420 injector nozzle into the Venturi? Hmmmm. Kinda like vaping but with CBD?

N

Be the ball -----. It is like this, nah, nah, ne, ne, nah, long and slow!

SH folks pant, they will never be the ball! Long and slow, Zen out!

Now that I am going hippie again since I cannot get my hair cut due to Corona 19, could I rig a 420 injector nozzle into the Venturi? Hmmmm. Kinda like vaping but with CBD?

N
Like through a straw, very low cracking effort and long slow breaths...:wink:

Here's the video I shot of that dive, titled "Getting The Lead Out."
As you watch this video, take a look at the relative positions of my yellow mouthpiece and the Mistral regulator on the tanks. One other thing; the Mistral's orifice is one of the best-designed for a Venturi effect of any double hose regulator, and once the breathing cycle is initiated, the air comes almost effortlessly.

SeaRat

Wow! Not to deviate from this thread but what kind of mask is that you're wearing??
I love the idea of flip-down readers but that seems like an awfully large contraption for accomplishing this unless it does more?

Wow! Not to deviate from this thread but what kind of mask is that you're wearing??
I love the idea of flip-down readers but that seems like an awfully large contraption for accomplishing this unless it does more?
Daebado,

What you see as "flip-down readers" are actually the SeawiscopEY, a device that attaches to any (just about) mask that gives very close-up, binocular vision for examining and observing very small aquatic and marine life. I have for instance, observed a hydra on a leaf, extending a millimeter-lone tentacle into the water and picking off matter from the water. I have watched small sculpins feeding, for instance. Using it in conjunction with a double hose regulator allows very close observation without disturbing the fish very close (inches) from my face.

Ever Young: a true near vision aid for divers

SeaRat

Daebado,

What you see as "flip-down readers" are actually the SeawiscopEY, a device that attaches to any (just about) mask that gives very close-up, binocular vision for examining and observing very small aquatic and marine life. I have for instance, observed a hydra on a leaf, extending a millimeter-lone tentacle into the water and picking off matter from the water. I have watched small sculpins feeding, for instance. Using it in conjunction with a double hose regulator allows very close observation without disturbing the fish very close (inches) from my face.

Ever Young: a true near vision aid for divers

SeaRat

My god that's a big rig!

My god that's a big rig!
Are you commenting on my Twin 52 cubic foot steel tanks with the Mistral regulator, or the SeawiscopeEY? Both are very nice in the water.

The SeawiscopeEY was developed by a friend, C.Y. Tang, an optometrist and diver in Hong Kong. I have been using mine on most dives for years now, and they open a new world of miniature aquatic life observation in my local river, the Clackamas River at High Rocks, only a half-hour drive from my home.

SeaRat

They suck. There's a reason they went the way of the do-do.

Valid points regarding freeze-ups, but that isn't a huge issue with a good cold-water single hose. And you can't knock the cool factor, assuming you're approaching 70 years old. Otherwise, you just look like you wish you were 70.

The original drysuits had a huge advantage too.... the zippers didn't die, because you had to climb in to the suit through a port in the stomach. It's just a matter of time until they come back, given the scourge of the plastic semi-dry drysuit zipper.

Just my opinion of course, but I'm not wrong. ;-)

They suck. There's a reason they went the way of the do-do.

Valid points regarding freeze-ups, but that isn't a huge issue with a good cold-water single hose. And you can't knock the cool factor, assuming you're approaching 70 years old. Otherwise, you just look like you wish you were 70.

The original drysuits had a huge advantage too.... the zippers didn't die, because you had to climb in to the suit through a port in the stomach. It's just a matter of time until they come back, given the scourge of the plastic semi-dry drysuit zipper.

Just my opinion of course, but I'm not wrong. ;-)
Actually, they didn't go by the way of the dodo bird. They still exist today (ever heard of the Kraken?).

And, if you think that double hose regs "suck," you haven't used a really good one with doubles, where the regulator is placed squarely between the shoulder blades, or positioned the regulator so that the mouthpiece is slightly above the demand valve in the water column (which is one way to clear the regulator too, initiating a free flow).

I'm not "approaching 70," but have exceeded that and am 74. I'm still diving, so maybe using a double hose regulator enhances longevity (can't wait for the restrictions to be lifted so I can get into the river again).

Now, about the ol' rubber drysuits. They never died completely. Take a look at:

Aquala Diving Drysuits Hand Crafted in the USA

SeaRat

Actually, they didn't go by the way of the dodo bird.

Well, I was being dramatic... ;-)

Apart from the nostalgia aspect, I don't really think there can possibly be any advantage to them other than the two things I mentioned.

Having said that, I'm all for diving the way you want to dive.

As for the rubber suits, thanks for the link. I still use a Viking Pro on occasion, and apart from the weight and rigidity, it's always dryer than the any of the shell suits I have. Interesting they make one with the tunnel still. That's one way to get around a zipper replacement.

How hard are double hoses to service? Do they require any special tools? Specifically looking at kraken...
Most of the service parts are stock Aqua Lung aka US Divers

Attitude in the water is key to a DH as to it's performance. It ranges from "wow, this breaths better than a SP G250" to "is my tank on?" Diving a GUE horizontal position will feel like you are breathing through a straw, more vertical, easier it breaths.

There is a reason you see vintage pictures JYC with a chest mounted DH regulator.

The chest mounted second stage was more about theatrics than function. Cousteau was going for the innerspaceman look of the future.

Back
Top Bottom