Why use a double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you’re not pretty flat it would be but when your as old as he was being able to breath probably seemed a tad more important.

He wasn't that old in those pictures that was probably 1950's, he was say the high side of middle age then. That's when he was making the movies and doing most of the work he's known for.

Look at the first pic

I still can't really tell. It looks like upside down cylinders on his back, so I don't get how that 1st stage is connected to the tanks.

I'm looking at it on my 24" 4K monitor. Those pictures are not very large on my screen.

yep, "single hose style first stage", the first stage of the DH is blanked off (see below), and the regulator is fed off the Hookah port adapter.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

Aha! I said earlier "HP hose from cylinders around to the reg on his chest". Nobody corrected me, so I figured that part was right.

But, you are saying it's a LP hose from a SH 1st stage that runs around to the DH reg on his chest.

In that case, what is the point? What is the DH reg even doing? It's not regulating anything, right? It's just providing a breathing loop and moving the exhaust port away from his face and down to his chest?

I really don't see how that arrangement has any bearing on how a DH breathes. At least, for people who are using a DH reg in the "normal" way.

Not actually. there are a lot of pics of JYC with him diving a front mounted DH without all the fiberglass. Nothing "futuristic" about that set up.
Mostly the crew being filmed wore the complete out fit with covers and faring.

View attachment 582465

View attachment 582466

Ryan Spence has personal knowledge of all things Cousteau and many actual pieces of equipment used by the Cousteau team from work with the Cousteau foundation. I have dived with Ryan and seen some of the equipment in use by him at one of Vintage Double Hose events at Weeki Wachi springs.
Ryan's site Vintage Scuba Museum
Dive buddy and myself with original Cousteau rig at Weeki Wachi

Original Cousteau set.jpg

@stuartv : When worn on the chest, and the first stage removed and blanked, the DH is just a second stage. The large diaphragm will have unique characteristics from back mounted or in your mouth as it has a very large mechanical advantage to act on the lever (similar to what we have seen with many of the smaller single hose seconds breathing harder than larger bodied ones), and the location will also be very different breathing...

IIRC, very easy inhalation, and a little harder exhalation if horizontal...

I still can't really tell. It looks like upside down cylinders on his back, so I don't get how that 1st stage is connected to the tanks.

I'm looking at it on my 24" 4K monitor. Those pictures are not very large on my screen.

Aha! I said earlier "HP hose from cylinders around to the reg on his chest". Nobody corrected me, so I figured that part was right.

But, you are saying it's a LP hose from a SH 1st stage that runs around to the DH reg on his chest.

In that case, what is the point? What is the DH reg even doing? It's not regulating anything, right? It's just providing a breathing loop and moving the exhaust port away from his face and down to his chest?

I really don't see how that arrangement has any bearing on how a DH breathes. At least, for people who are using a DH reg in the "normal" way.

It merely reverses the breathing characteristics of the regulator making exhalation harder and inhalation easier. As I said it was for show more than go when filming the Under Sea World of Jacques Cousteau series. Off camera divers wore standard gear.
It is a triple tank rig Cousteau is wearing in the picture, the outer tanks are inverted and connected to the center tanks via tubing.
In my post below it is a 4 tank setup again connected by tubing, Tanks are titanium.

Not actually. there are a lot of pics of JYC with him diving a front mounted DH without all the fiberglass. Nothing "futuristic" about that set up.
Mostly the crew being filmed wore the conplete out fit with covers and farings.

View attachment 582465

View attachment 582466

Ryan Spence has personal knowledge of all things Cousteau and many actual pieces of equipment used by the Cousteau team from work with the Cousteau foundation. I have dived with Ryan and seen some of the equipment in use by him at one of Vintage Double Hose events at Weeki Wachi springs.
Ryan's site Vintage Scuba Museum
Dive buddy and myself with original Cousteau rig at Weeki Wachi

View attachment 582474 .

Thanks, all. I get it now.

In a 2 stage double hose, this is (most of) the first stage (this is a VDH Cyclone). You can see the lip that is the part that connects to the tank valve (yoke), just like a conventional first stage.
upload_2020-4-24_12-23-47.png

here is the second stage, and both are attached to a body that is attached to the cans. The diaphragm sits over this, and the exhaust can is placed over that.
upload_2020-4-24_12-22-3.png

Additionally, the large screw you see here above the second stage is the back side of the diaphragm first stage.

Back
Top Bottom