Why use a double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To those who say that breathing DH is as effortless as breathing a single hose I would recommend they invest in a better SH reg.

Hmmmm... Let me inventory my current equipment for another comparison:

Argonaut Kraken - check
ScubaPro MK-17/G250v - check
Poseidon Xstream - check
ScubaPro MK-20/25 / G250 - check
ScubaPro MK-17/S600 - check
ScubaPro MK-10/156 - check
ScubaPro MK-V/156 - check
USD "PRAM" - check
ScubaPro MK-V/Air1 (also a converted Pilot) - check
ScubaPro MK-10/D300, D350, D400 - check
HOG D1/Classic, Zenith - check
Deep6 Signature - check

Ah, and you can honestly say that overall, the DH breathes as easily as your SH?

Ah, and you can honestly say that overall, the DH breathes as easily as your SH?

Yes.

My three Argonaut Krakens and my two Phoenix Aqua Masters have a equal WOB (IMO) to most modern single hose regulators. With the advantages of being much quieter and somewhat more stealthy due to the rear exhaust and the bubbles never obscure my vision or pollute the wet optic on my camera.

And I too have available several high performance single hose regulators. And in the thread I started, "All Time Favorite Regulator" down in the Regulator forum I ranked my AL first generation Titan LX Supreme as my all time favorite regulator and explained why, none of which affects my answer here. A DH regulator breaths differently, some of us learned on them so we do not have to make the adjustment and we know how to set our rig up to take advantage of their characteristics, those who take them up later must re-learn breathing and adjust their equipment to suit. If one is not willing to do that, then the answer for them is no and they should stay with a SH regulator.

My wife and I, both of us on our all time favorite regulators in the Caymans:

IMG-0828-edited-1-1.jpg

Me on my fav diving the jetty in Panama City St. Andrews park:

IMG-1582-edited-1.jpg

At TBR aboard our BW Outrage, heading down to the Zebulon Pike wreck solo with the Argonaut:

IMG-2303-zpsruk1om1j-1.jpg

James

Well it’s interesting that some people find such amazing performance from their DH, after using them for a long long time I have never found one (DH) to breath anywhere nearly as well as a good SH, they don’t breath bad but it takes a few breaths to get used to one after using a SH of any quality. Also everything needs to be “just right” and don’t twist around or tilt more than a few ° one way or the other because you’ll chipmunk (at best or free flow) or feel like you’re out of air, SH wear it high or low, even upside down.

But

A DH excels at bubble dispersion and for shooting video it is really quiet on the video, they can breath very well, they have an amazing cool factor and with a Phoenix conversion or a Kraken you can run every accessory that a SH uses. They are different and have their place even today but they are not for everyone.

You need to try one for yourself.
Edit
Oops, I see you have. Nevermind.

Well it’s interesting that some people find such amazing performance from their DH, after using them for a long long time I have never found one (DH) to breath anywhere nearly as well as a good SH, they don’t breath bad but it takes a few breaths to get used to one after using a SH of any quality. Also everything needs to be “just right” and don’t twist around or tilt more than a few ° one way or the other because you’ll chipmunk (at best or free flow) or feel like you’re out of air, SH wear it high or low, even upside down.

But

A DH excels at bubble dispersion and for shooting video it is really quiet on the video, they can breath very well, they have an amazing cool factor and with a Phoenix conversion or a Kraken you can run every accessory that a SH uses. They are different and have their place even today but they are not for everyone.
I am curious as to which double hose regulators that you used that you found to be such a difference in performance.

rhwestfall:
I wonder if you could share your DH setup with me. My Kraken is currently set up with an IP of 140, raised from 130, one venturi port completely blocked and one half blocked, second stage seat as from Bryan (after trying 1/2 turn out which resulted in leaking from the seat). I did not mess with second stage spring tension. Funny enough, my Phoenix/ HPR reg cracks easier than my Kraken. When we talk about breathing easier, I assume we are both talking about underwater , in a variety of orientations, where it counts. I have no complaints about my DH regs on dry land.
I use the VDH DH backplate hung low as prescribed.One difference between the Phoenix and the Kraken is the Phoenix is able to set closer to your back due to the fact that it protrudes farther from the yoke.
After two weeks diving recently in Indonesia, I didn't find approaching fish (something I love to do, and the only reason I got involved with DH) that much better.
I am an active diver, using as many body orientations as possible. My normal posture tends to be face in the reef and legs high to avoid damage. Either that or vertical for panoramic views, Probably the two worst orientations for DH.

Hmmmm... Let me inventory my current equipment for another comparison:

Argonaut Kraken - check
ScubaPro MK-17/G250v - check
Poseidon Xstream - check
ScubaPro MK-20/25 / G250 - check
ScubaPro MK-17/S600 - check
ScubaPro MK-10/156 - check
ScubaPro MK-V/156 - check
USD "PRAM" - check
ScubaPro MK-V/Air1 (also a converted Pilot) - check
ScubaPro MK-10/D300, D350, D400 - check
HOG D1/Classic, Zenith - check
Deep6 Signature - check
What willpower do you posses that helped you resist aquiring a Conshelf?

What willpower do you posses that helped you resist aquiring a Conshelf?

I was wondering the same thing? No Conshelf!!!!!!!!!

I set IP to 135. I run one Venturi port blocked and one approximately half blocked. I set cracking effort to about .6 inches. When I talk about "breathing" comparisons I am meaning inhalation, exhalation and cracking effort needed to start the Venturi. And I ride the Venturi without thinking about it.

I do find that I can approach critters more closely but it is not night and day and it depends on the critter. SH or DH, critters will shy away if I bust in on them! Blowing bubbles in their face does not help the situation. One of the shark dives I got suckered into the "expert" said to make sure and make eye contact and the shark would veer away. Hmm. So, I was on my Kraken and made eye contact with the Tiger shark and he came right on in. Hmmm. It was not the eye contact so much as the bubbles or in my case the lack of them!

DH regulators are not for everyone, some will never adjust and that is not an insult or slight, we all have our preferences and that is fine by me. On the wall at Palancar, Cozumel at about 110 feet:

IMG-1065.jpg

Looking up along the reef:

IMG-1055.jpg

The DSV improves inhalation performance over the standard non-DSV mouthpieces. I can run a little hotter Venturi and lower cracking effort adjustment. I have experimented with IPs up to 150 psi and recommend 135 psi as good setting.

James

Back
Top Bottom