Why the SPG is clipped to the hip ring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judging by his sigline: "Just because cave divers do it doesn't mean it's done right." - He's just another one of these late-to-the-party DIR trolls. Sorry, champ, these arguments and counter arguments have been discussed again and again for years.

And you know what?

We still clip to the left hip D-ring.

One argument that was proposed by a non DIR cave instructor that made some sense was to clip the SPG to the left D-ring because:

2. In tight/low caves, the SPG when clipped to the left shoulder D-ring can be seen with no hands, there is again no need to work around the stage bottles and there is zero possibility of breaking trim and creating silt using this approach.

So you're the guy who has been dragging your spg in the silt in the Double lines when it's clipped to your chest:) or was that your head print I saw when you were looking at your spg instead of where you were going.......clip it to your hip... not your chest:no:

Judging by his sigline: "Just because cave divers do it doesn't mean it's done right." - He's just another one of these late-to-the-party DIR trolls. Sorry, champ, these arguments and counter arguments have been discussed again and again for years.

And you know what?

We still clip to the left hip D-ring.

As do I. I'm not a cave diver, only a lowly wreck diver who would like to see proper arguments made for an equipment choice. Standardization alone is a sufficient argument for me in this particular case.

As do I. I'm not a cave diver, only a lowly wreck diver who would like to see proper arguments made for an equipment choice. Standardization alone is a sufficient argument for me in this particular case.

has ANYONE in this thread made an argument that it's for standardization alone??

Yes, I decided to add that today after some of the responses I've gotten from this group.

Due respect, but you should know that your quote is based on a wholly mistaken premise. You were responding directly to one of my posts; I mentioned "cave divers have pointed out the benefits..." because I try to be mindful not to claim authority I don't have. Litehedded, pfcAJ and others who actually dive caves, have taken the time to point out real hazards in those environments, many of which have educated the decisions made by DIR. You apparently took my statement to mean "Cave divers said X, therefore X is the final word."

this thread is fun :)

I'd just like to add a tangent here.

I cannot speak for others, but I chose GUE because of it's accomplishments, reputation, safety record and strict adherence to established standards. I chose that organization to learn their system, not to question the validity of it. The validity has already been well established.

And every now and then standards do change, which is then passed down through the organization along with an explanation of why.

I chose that organization to learn their system, not to question the validity of it. The validity has already been well established.
whats we got here is a gall darn lemming. :wink:

LOL Anyways, there are more than 1 way to skin a cat, some work better than others in certain circumstances. And other work better for more circumstances.

Pick your Poison.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom