Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigcape

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is all the controversy and angst about?

It seems some people will mock statements DIR/GUE writings or people say.

Ive seen "eye rolling" in words.

Heck, This is the ONLY section that has "rules" to follow and a link to the TOS, namely on how to reply in the post!!!!

No body seems to bash "cave" divers (even though they get huffy if you wear your mask backwards!)

No body seems to bash the "solo" divers either

Can somebody explain this to me?

egos, bashing back and forth, immaturity and self imortance about sums it up. From all sides....
I did DIR course, am cave diver and yes I do wear mask on forehead... I dont get huffy with myself or any one......:D

I won't give you the "do a search" answer, but I will give you the short answer. Until a year and a half ago, I had no clue what the terms "stroke", "DIR", or "GUE" meant but after finding out that they referred to styles of diving, I got an understanding of the animosity. With any given activity there will always be a group that does things differently whether for function, simplicity, or whatever. After that, sometimes members of the group or subgroup proclaim their method is better or best. With this causes bruised egos, animosity, hurt feelings etc. It's happens with any activity and in this case it happens with diving.

Meng_Tze:
egos, bashing back and forth, immaturity and self imortance about sums it up. From all sides....
I did DIR course, am cave diver and yes I do wear mask on forehead... I dont get huffy with myself or any one......:D

Thats great!

My LSD owner will walk up to someone that has there mask on backwards and ask them who they got there "cave" training with knowing that they are OW divers.

I am "allowed" as it was pointed out to a group one day cause i am in "tech" gear and exempt from having to be "cave" certified!

I have read tonnes of DIR articles none bashing anybody

I have read tonnes of GUE articles none bashing anybody

I have enjoyed the insite and nuances of each.

I dive the long hose and when someone asks about it I tell them I am preparing for advanced diving that leans twards a little different configuration. Then I say this "long ***** hose is what you would get to use if you needed an octo" Then everybody wants to be my buddy.

What magical world do you live in where no one bashes solo divers?

Because surely you're not talking about ScubaBoard (outside the Solo Divers forum, at least)...

;-)

Bigcape:
Bad vibes still left over from some early DIR advocates (ok, mostly just one particularly obnoxious guy, who left the scene a few years ago). Wannabe's tried to copy his obnoxious style.

Things have calmed down significantly, although there was some pretty nasty internecine warfare within the DIR community a year or so ago involving the former training director of GUE.

Ignore the politics. Take the knowledge.

Bigcape:
What is all the controversy and angst about?

It seems some people will mock statements DIR/GUE writings or people say.

Ive seen "eye rolling" in words.

Heck, This is the ONLY section that has "rules" to follow and a link to the TOS, namely on how to reply in the post!!!!

No body seems to bash "cave" divers (even though they get huffy if you wear your mask backwards!)

No body seems to bash the "solo" divers either

A lot of this can be traced back into "ancient history" Before DIR there was Hogarthian which was very radical for the time,and you had people like JJ when they used to work at the Ginnie dive shop who taught and supported it. The clash between Hogarthian and what was being done at the time caused some angst. These clashes continued into the internet age when you had the old cavers list in which George bashed everybody,and this was during the evolution of DIR. The negative PR generated by these posts (where stroke and FAS orginated from) caused a lot of backlash toward the WKPP,DIR,and then onto GUE. Many people who have come along don't have a history,so I don't know where the anti-GUE attitude comes from. I am going to guess and say that some of the anti-GUE attitude is propogated by some (not even a majority) of its members,these are the ones who tell you that you aren't properly trained and equiped,because you are not GUE certified, and I won't dive with you (Yeah I've heard this on several occasions). I don't have a dog in this fight,because I am fine with everything I do,and am willing to learn new things,but prefer an eclectic approach. Just my .02 worth

Bigcape:
huh? i dive caves & have no idea what this means. wear your mask however you want, we don't care.

Bigcape:
Thats great!

My LSD owner will walk up to someone that has there mask on backwards and ask them who they got there "cave" training with knowing that they are OW divers.

I am "allowed" as it was pointed out to a group one day cause i am in "tech" gear and exempt from having to be "cave" certified!

I have read tonnes of DIR articles none bashing anybody

I have read tonnes of GUE articles none bashing anybody

I have enjoyed the insite and nuances of each.

I dive the long hose and when someone asks about it I tell them I am preparing for advanced diving that leans twards a little different configuration. Then I say this "long ***** hose is what you would get to use if you needed an octo" Then everybody wants to be my buddy.

I dont think its the 'leadership' in GUE anymore.... it is some of the young impresionable divers that just got certified and have inflated ego's because of that. They seem to think the world of themselves that seem to be getting into these sort of activities.

Then others get offended and defensive.... and its on!!

I see them regularly... on boats, around springs......but that's okay. Each to their own and others to themselves.

Like it was said in this thread: ignore the politics.... take the knowledge you can use.... and just dive.

Meng_Tze:
I dont think its the 'leadership' in GUE anymore.... it is some of the young impresionable divers that just got certified and have inflated ego's because of that. They seem to think the world of themselves that seem to be getting into these sort of activities.

Then others get offended and defensive.... and its on!!

I see them regularly... on boats, around springs......but that's okay. Each to their own and others to themselves.

Like it was said in this thread: ignore the politics.... take the knowledge you can use.... and just dive.

That nutshells the current situation. I've been on a boat with clients (dealers) in normal open water gear and have had some "DIR" divers decide to point out everything wrong with our gear. Upon further investigation of the 4 one has passed fundies, one hadn't yet taken fundies and the other two were provisional.

Funny thing is when I showed them my GUE cave 1 card it then became "You know better, yet will dive all that unsafe gear?" We are talking about a 60 ft reef dive here, all of us instructors for over a decade and in the industry (which we explained) yet they couldn't/wouldn't admit that we could do so safely in non DIR gear.

They are morons and exactly the type that gives DIR divers a bad name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom